Sign in to follow this  
Jaffa

Translated article

Thanks for this nice report.

To the problems with his girlfriend, I would say, If Baruto would have a higher rank (sanyaku?), they possibly would allow him to have one.

(In a state of confusion...) I don't know whether I am right, but it could be.

Thanks for the translation.

Poor him...and poor Jelena. (In a state of confusion...)

"There is no proper medical care in Japan. Doctors here do not know what to do" talks Baruto and shows his stomach "they cut my stomach two times in wrong places when my appendix was operated on."

No wonder Takanohana went to France...

Seriously, wasn't somebody (Nishinoshima?) saying recently that Japanese health care is top notch? Or is it just universally difficult to make the right cut on a large belly? Kaikitsune?

Baruto is ashamed to show his tiny club

I get about 20 e-mails a day with suggested solutions for that.

I get about 20 e-mails a day with suggested solutions for that.

Thanks, Sir. You've successfully killed me now.

The worst letter arrived from a fan of a competitor. "When I won a bout with Kotooshu, the fan sent me a used tampon in an envelope!"

now THIS is weird even for my high standards.

Edited by aderechelsea

Not for excusing any Japanese surgeons but my understanding is that any operation relating to rikishi's stomach area isn't as easy as they have so much muscle and fat in that area. To cut into a particular area, they may not able to do it like for a normal patient.

Actually rikishi even have problems giving their blood or even getting an IV as nurses have trouble finding their vein. But then I am not Kaikitsune and I play a doctor only on this board.

Edited by Jonosuke

"high standards for something to be considered weird"

isn't this right? ;-)

Not for excusing any Japanese surgeons but my understanding is that any operation relating to rikishi's stomach area isn't as easy as they have so much muscle and fat in that area. To cut into a particular area, they may not able to do it like for a normal patient.

Actually rikishi even have problems giving their blood or even getting an IV as nurses have trouble finding their vein. But then I am not Kaikitsune and I play a doctor only on this board.

Perhaps they could consult with American and English doctors. They outta know a thing or two about obesity and have some experience operating on such patients.

Perhaps they could consult with American and English doctors. They outta know a thing or two about obesity and have some experience operating on such patients.

Or German airport surgeons. Biggest contrast ever was experienced when I changed planes in Frankfurt on my way back from Japan. Lot of very fat people there. Surgeons do say it takes more time to find the organs when a lot of fat there as fat tends to embrace intestens too. Appendectomy is the most common surgery in our planet system and very simple if no complications. If it has been so difficult to do on Baruto, he may have had it in unusual place.

Baruto in general is very outspoken to Estonian media and doesn't alleviate his statements much. Another good example that "Japan's medical care is bad" and before this he said some other very black and white things like that.

Baruto in general is very outspoken to Estonian media and doesn't alleviate his statements much. Another good example that "Japan's medical care is bad" and before this he said some other very black and white things like that.

It seems to me that Baruto is not very happy in Japan. He is having hard time getting used to the kind of life sumo offers. Maybe when talking to outsiders (eg journalists from Estonia) he enjoys the chance of being straightforward, almost brutally honest. He is physically talented for sumo but culturally almost from a different planet.

PS Having myself for the last year and a half lived in a very different (Muslim) culture I find that there are some things that I accept and other things that I just endure.

It's quit interesting to see, that Baruto allows himself a bit like Asa's behavior. We had a mammoth thread about the reasons why Asa couldn't get the point (and probably does not it up to now). I see here some disturbing similarities and I start to think that the knee is not the most worrying organ of his body.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope the secrecy with girl friend is bit upspoken so in the end he can proceed with his career and can achive the level to what his physical body has all preconditions. More doing, less talking! :-O

Baruto already stated categorically he would not stay in Japan after his active career so I assume he is taking the current state as a temporary or transient one.

From strengthwise he is likely the strongest rikishi around but I am not sure how bad his knee injury was. He seemed to have bounced back from it but if he keeps gaining weight like he has been, it won't be good for his knees. I somehow picture him as Konishiki in his late stage if he is not careful.

As for his girlfriend, he just has to have a right timing to tell his shisho (he probably has a tacit approval). I don't think in his case it won't be as crucial as it was with Akebono. Remember these are young guys, if they don't have a steady girlfriend, they have a steady flow of them, even Takamisakari.

As for after his sumo career, I suppose he can always go back to Estonia to be a bouncer at a night club or open up a chanko restaurant there.

Edited by Jonosuke

It's quit interesting to see, that Baruto allows himself a bit like Asa's behavior. We had a mammoth thread about the reasons why Asa couldn't get the point (and probably does not it up to now). I see here some disturbing similarities and I start to think that the knee is not the most worrying organ of his body.

I wouldn't worry to much about Baruto's approach to life in Japan. It is nothing like Asashoryu's. Baruto seems to be keeping his sense of humor and is still quite a shy, even self-effacing, kid. Asashoryu's reaction to life in Japan has been all about arrogance and aggression. In the end, I'm sure they'll return to their home countries but it will be his knee, and not his attitude, that gets Baruto in trouble in the meantime.

Guest Eli
"I am trying to think positive. Life has its ups and downs. It is not a question if I want to treat the knee properly or not. If I have to operate it so be it. There is no proper medical care in Japan. Doctors here do not know what to do" talks Baruto and shows his stomach "they cut my stomach two times in wrong places when my appendix was operated on."

I'd be willing to bet that they performed a laparoscopic appendectomy, which uses several small incisions and the use of miniature instruments instead of one large incision. This minimizes trama and greatly speeds recovery. Somehow I doubt that an appendectomy is beyond the expertise of Japanese medicine. Baruto doesn't sound like the brightest guy you'd ever meet.

I probably have missed it somewhere, but what is the official diagnosis of Baruto's knee injury. Is it a torn ACL. MCL or is it a strained ACL, MCL or Patella tendon or something else altogether?

Given the title of the thread, hands up who scrolled down looking for the virginity bit. I mean hands up apart from me (In a state of confusion...)