Sign in to follow this  
Masumasumasu

Urgent Message for Kisenosato

I thought it was nice of him not to shove Kitataiki off backwards onto the shimpan, though he could have. At least, that's what it looked like he was trying to do, getting Kitataiki to step left or right instead of straight backwards.

I thought it was nice of him not to shove Kitataiki off backwards onto the shimpan, though he could have. At least, that's what it looked like he was trying to do, getting Kitataiki to step left or right instead of straight backwards.

One of Kitataiki's favorite tactics is to back up to the edge and then sidestep. If anything, Kisenosato was trying to prevent him from sidestepping.

I found it interesting that he stayed up that high as well, as in my mind he's normally quite good at dropping his hips and ending matches by yorikiri in a low, stable position.

• Like 1

If you learn to consistantly lower your hips you could be in yusho contention frequently.

Also, have you tried visualization? Imagine that your opponent is like a rag doll, that you can toss him around the dohyo like a child.

You have to lower your hips against guys like the powerful Kotoshogiku.

Also, Hakuho is working on breathing techniques (the guy is a freaking Kung-fu master!) and so should you:

1) Breathe slowly. (People tend to breathe way, way too fast.)

2) Take longer breaths. (You only have so many breaths, don't use them all up!)

3) Breathe through your nose. (Mouth breathing is EXTREMELY unhealthy.)

4) Try to get your belly to expand and contract with your breaths. (Breathe like a baby.)

i would add:

"start pushing like an oshi-zumo rikishi (if you like this thing) or try to do yotsu sumo by using a mawashi grip. The defence on your opponent's elbow is nice but will only get you as far as beating the likes of TochiO3 and Kitataiki ... not someone who knows how to use a mawashi grip."

this "in-between" style of his will not work for a long time.

i bet this basho is the last one that he beats Miyogiryu or Toyonoshima if he gives them morozashi again.

Edited by aderechelsea
  • Like 1

My work for this basho is done. I have single-handedly managed (through this thread) to get Kisenosato to significantly raise his game. ;-)

On to the next basho!

Reality flash: Kise isn't now, nor will he be in the near future, Yok material. It would take severe injuries to both Hak and HF for him to sneak by and grab a yusho - maybe.

13-2 is his best record. Unlike HF, who has a whole arsenal of moves, cunning and speed, Kise is slow, his footwork is pedantic at best and he really doesn't have the ability to take advantage of openings given to him by his opponents. Essentially, he's a one-trick pony. An extremely good one, and lots of talent, strength and forward-sumo technique, but still.... When the money's on the table, he still can't string 2-3 good bouts together.

For him to yusho, he pretty much has to get through both Yoks, and that's never happened.

WYSIWYG.

i would add:

"start pushing like an oshi-zumo rikishi (if you like this thing) or try to do yotsu sumo by using a mawashi grip. The defence on your opponent's elbow is nice but will only get you as far as beating the likes of TochiO3 and Kitataiki ... not someone who knows how to use a mawashi grip."

this "in-between" style of his will not work for a long time.

i bet this basho is the last one that he beats Miyogiryu or Toyonoshima if he gives them morozashi again.

This is actually a very appropriate description of his sumo.

So the message should be "Either Oooomph or grab! But not groombph."

Edited by yorikiried by fate
  • Like 1

Kokonoe-oyakata advises Kise to go for degeiko to Hakuho many times, now that the ban on degeiko in his heya seems to be lifted. Training extensively with Harumafuji apparently is not enough. Kokonoe also said he should become better in getting the right uwate grip, now that he has grown stable in inserting his left (hidari-zashi).

(I moved it to this thread from the discussion thread)

• Like 1

I think that getting to train against better opponents will really help elevate Kise's game. If nothing else, it will help him become more familiar with the techniques and styles his opponents use.

• Like 1

Since it was mentioned, I have no idea why the late ex-Takanosato was so against degeiko... How on earth did he expect his star to really improve in such limited circle of sparring partners is beyond me... Reminds me a bit of Baruto and his months spent beating up on Tenkaiho, never did work, did it?

Anyone know what the reason for this policy was?

In any case, I was really happy to hear that the policy has been changed, I am sure it contributed to the improvement in Kisenosato's game we saw this basho, and hopefully might lead to further improvement...

Anyone know what the reason for this policy was?

I don't know if it's actually true, but I've read that, as one of the hardline anti-yaochoists, he felt it wasn't a good idea to have his deshi train at stables where laxer morals prevailed and they might be persuaded to join the dark side.

Kokonoe also said he should become better in getting the right uwate grip, now that he has grown stable in inserting his left (hidari-zashi).

i am glad someone more knowledgeable agrees with me.

I think Kise let his nerves get to him, it happens to the best, look at Harumafuji when he has a bad tournament, Hak is just from another planet it would seem and not really like everyone else.

Kise is getting evercloser. He has been like a buldozer in last two basho. He just needs to have little extra mental power to be able to yusho. I think he is close.

Asa and Hakuho already had their mental power even before stepping into makuuchi waters. It was just matter of time for them. So Kisenosato is up against such challenges, mostly against himself. He needs to think his legit destiny is to be the next Japanese Yok, nothing less.

• Like 2

Kise has the weight of Nippon on his back. Hakuho does not. The Yokozuna has never felt the kind of extreme pressure that Kisenosato has faced recently.

NEVER.

Japan is--without a doubt--the most demanding country on the face of planet Earth. The amount of pressure hoisted upon native son Kisenosato can only be described as 'unimaginable'.

Edited by Masumasumasu

Japan is the country where Olympic silver medallists receive irate letters from people who want to know why they failed...

• Like 2

Kise has the weight of Nippon on his back. Hakuo does not. The Yokozuna has never felt the kind of extreme pressure that Kisenosato has faced recently.

NEVER.

Japan is--without a doubt--the most demanding country on the face of planet Earth. The amount of pressure hoisted upon native son Kisenosato can only be described as 'unimaginable'.

100 percent with you on that one. If they would take just a bit of pressure off the poor guy, he might be able to come through.

Japan is the country where Olympic silver medallists receive irate letters from people who want to know why they failed...

It doesn't seem to be the case with sumo. They must have been asking that question for 7-8 years by now, or they must have gotten satisfactory answer why japanese rikishi faiedl to even win a yusho.

Unlike the pressure placed on Tim Henman and Andy Murray in the UK?

I don't particularly like tennis, but I'm delighted that Murray has won Wimbledon (only the second Scot to do it). Now the nation will be full of would-be Murray's and our highways might be a bit less hazardous with the lessening of the wannabee Chris Hoy's (another Scot, as it happens).