Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Most Underrated Makuuchi Rikishi

Looking at the current crop of Makuuchi rikishis including Sanyakus, who do you think is the most underrated now?

I mean in a sense of their presence or perception/attention from media and fans.

Kyokushuzan with 45 Hiramaku consecutive bashos perhaps. He no longer gets much attention. Or Kotonowaka with 82 consecutive Makuuchi bashos. Well at least these two are noted in the record department as Shu is the second or while Waka is the fourth in their respective category.

What about others ? Like Jumonji or Buyuzan. No one seems to get too excited about them.

Do you have your favorite most underrated Makuuchi now? If you do, I sure like to know. I am kind of curious what others think will match mine.

No this is not a poll, just a subjective thing you know. We all have our own quarks.

Edited by Jonosuke

My own favorite is Kotoryu. He doesn't look much, but he is strong (he is able to lift anyone), he's fast and has quite good results (better than one would think) ... and nice sumo too. And he's a permanent figure of makuuchi division since July 1996 with a single interruption of 2 bashos (most probably due to injury). That's 47 bashos in Makuuchi (Showing respect...)

Edited by Xris

Well, half a year ago I would have said Kinkaiyama, but he seems to have had a skill meltdown recently...

I do enjoy watching Buyuzan when he's on form. His fighting style is...the best word I can come up with is "messy". Sometimes he's doing absolutely determined tsuki-oshi, while in other bouts he's just all over the place in a throwing-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-at-the-opponent way. It's not terribly successful in the long run, but it's always entertaining to watch. (Poking the other guy...)

Edited by Asashosakari

It's a bit early in his career, but Kakizoe seems to have a spark that's missing in a lot of makuuchi rikishi...win or lose, the guy goes all out in his bouts (Poking the other guy...)

I am one who has not seen Dejima at his "prime", but I am a definite fan now... and I don't think he often gets the credit he deserves. When he is on, he is really awesome. With healthy legs, he'd be a great Ozeki, even though similar to Chiyotaikai a bit of a one-trick pony (Poking the other guy...)

Cheers from Philadelphia

Zenjimoto

What about others ? Like Jumonji or Buyuzan. No one seems to get too excited about them.

(Poking the other guy...) Am a big fan of both these men - good basho recently for Jumonji too. Lots of good movement but as with Buyuzan - lots of up and dowm.

Well, in such a "meritocracy" as ozumo, it's hard to find someone who doesn't get at all what he deserves, but... I feel that Shimotori has a great potential, and that (perhaps for good reason so far, judging by his results when in the Joijin ranks) he hasn't really been considered as a Sanyaku-level Rikishi...

Kotoryu and Kyokushuzan seem to be excellent examples of "elevator Rikishi", who will consistently be good in the Hiramaku ranks and then will suffer a great deal when having to face all the best guys.

Kaiho! Kabuki-eyebrowed little warrior with a tragic face, how am I not to like him?

Buyuuuzan! With his emotions written all over his face, looking so lost and confused some times...

Kotonowaka the beautiful and well-perserved...

Kinki, yes, although he did meltdown inexplainably...

Who else? Kyokutenho, Ami-chan of course, and probably another three pr four rikishi I can't think of right now. (Poking the other guy...)

maybe if i can get onto the sumo forum's "featured rikishi" thread people will sit up and take notice

Yeah send me your bio and I'd write one up for you and make you sound like you are the next Hagiwara or Hakuho. B-)

Edited by Jonosuke

My own favorite is Kotoryu. He doesn't look much, but he is strong (he is able to lift anyone), he's fast and has quite good results (better than one would think) ... and nice sumo too.  And he's a permanent figure of makuuchi division since July 1996 with a single interruption of 2 bashos (most probably due to injury). That's 47 bashos in Makuuchi (In a state of confusion...)

Aye! B-)

Well, underrated in by rank- somehow his strength is not translated as someone mentioned; Kasugao. I just don't get why he is mostly in Juryo. Injury? Sure, but....

Yes Kaiho; I don't particularly like him, but he could be more popular than he is now isn't he with his Kabuki face!

ADDED;And that tininess reminded me, Tochitsurugi. he was incredibly migit yet stayed in Makunouchi- but he rarely got a spot light... Actually I can't remember anyone like Takamisakari with huge attention & popularity despite the low rank most of the time since Takamiyama(his oyakata).

Edited by hoshidango

I like Tokitsuumi.

He is a strong technician with good throwing techniques (3 gino-shos), although he is smallish in size. Always work very hard and is a dependable mid-megashira.

And maybe he has a chance to break shuzan's hiramaku record.

Edited by Zuikakuyama

And maybe he has a chance to break shuzan's hiramaku record.

You mean Higonoumi's hiramaku record. (Yucky...) Shuzan's not quite there yet himself.

I would probably say Tochinonada and Kyokutenho both of whom consistantly put solid performances in the maegashira ranks compared to the less reliable and injury prone.

Fujisan's reply reminded me of two other "invisible" yet skilful rikishi:

Flat-faced Iwakiyama - he's good yotsu rikishi, strong, massive, reliable. *And* he's an intelectual. What more could a woman want? ;-) Also, he's my permanent hoshitori backup - when Musoyama/Tochiazuma/KaioU go kyujo, he's the one bringing home some points to salvage the situation. (Clapping wildly...) There can never be too many mountains in sumo, and I wish Mt. Iwaki a long and succesful presence! (Neener, neener...)

Chinless Tamanoshima - even a bigger puzzle than Tochinonada, here's a man who can compete with the top that one basho in two years when he's on form. The rest of the time he's a wet mop... :-S I would really like to see some in-depth analysis of this phenomenon... Meanwhile, he's certainly one of the most invisible makuuchi rikishi. (Whistling...)