Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Ex-Takanonami Danpatsushiki

Ex- Ozeki Takanonami (current Otowayama Oyakata) had his danpatsushiki today. 400 people stood in line for a snip of the hair, (Musashimaru and his original shisho Futagoyama Oyakata among them), ending with his current shisho Ex-Yokozuna Takanohana Oyakata. "I felt a bit sad until the actual cutting of the 'oicho'. Then the sadness disappeared. My own heya? I'm not thinking about that at all at this point. I'd like to quickly grow into a seasoned Oyakata first. I will be donning a mawashi and getting on the dohyo to instruct the young deshi", he said.

8000 fans were present.

With ailing Futagoyama Oyakata:

7-A-20050130180811472L.jpg

With youngish Takanohana Oyakata:

20050130-00000055-kyodo-spo-thum-000.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

He managed to hold back his tears, till Futagoyama Oyakata cut his hair. Then, the tears flowed.

Some of his records:

8th most Makuuchi appearances-1118.

8th most wins in Makuuchi- 647.

4th most basho as Ozeki-37.

After the ceremony there was a big party at a Tokyo hotel with 1000 guests.

20050130-02273763-jijp-spo-view-001.jpg

This picture is really sad... (Nodding yes...)

It is getting hard to recognize the former prince of sumo. Too much smoke definitely kills... (Shaking head...)

Futagoyama, who is struggling with a cancer, especially got out of his hospital to attend the Takanonami's danpatsushiki. Futagoyama was so weak that two yobidashi gave him a hand to climb onto the dohyo.

So, to attend this danpatsu-shiki was a real hard effort for Futagoyama oyakata, this may be one of the reason, explaining why Takanonami was so moved and eventually cried.

Regards,

Chienoshima

Futagoyama, who is struggling with a cancer, especially got out of his hospital to attend the Takanonami's danpatsushiki. Futagoyama was so weak that two yobidashi gave him a hand to climb onto the dohyo.

So, to attend this danpatsu-shiki was a real hard effort for Futagoyama oyakata, this may be one of the reason, explaining why Takanonami was so moved and eventually cried.

Futagoyama's participation was a surprise. After Takanonami's former rival, Musashimaru, and former Yokozuna Wakanohana I made their cuts, there was an announcement over the speakers: "Futagoyama Oyakata, who is currently hospitalized, is on his way here. Please be patient."

An interruption of a dampatsushiki is a rarity. However, the spectators that filled the Kokugikan waited for 10 minutes--all the time clapping their hands--for the arrival of the former great ozeki,

When he finally arrived, he climbed to the dohyo, aided by two yobidashi, and made his ceremonial snip of his deshi's ooicho. He then bowed deeply to the crowd, which gave him a deafening ovation.

The normally sentimental Otowayama Oyakata was clearly moved. "It reminded me of the days when I first joined sumo. I am truly grateful," he said with tears in his eyes. "We [regrettably] had to make the audience wait, but he was the one that I really wanted to cut my mage."

• Like 1

Looking and reading about Futagoyama in this thread has literaly made me cry. (Shaking head...) Cancer is a hard opponent to defeat... Ganbare to Takanohana the father.

:'-( :'-(

Now it's done...and the great honor that Futagoyama Oyakata trudge himself out of the hospital to take part in his danpatsushiki makes it only an inch more bearable :'-(

I must admit I'm not a fan of Takanonami. I disliked his ring presence and his air on the dohyo. I cheered when he fell from Ozeki and cheered again when he proved unsuccessful attempting to regain his rank. That said, I must give him props and respect for a great career. Hopefully his career in the Kyokai will be long and prosperous. If nothing else, should he form his own heya, it will give me a whole group of rikishi to cheer against :'-(

I must admit I'm not a fan of Takanonami.
Edited by Ryukaze

Hope the guy survives this. Looks kind of bad though. Youngish lad and in and out of the hospital for some time now and now weak enough to need support to rise onto dohyo. Perhaps spreading cancer and heavy desperate treatment attempts to still get it under control. Mouth cancer is often a pretty aggressively spreading cancer with smoking+drinking the main risk factors.

I must admit I'm not a fan of Takanonami.

In the days of the "Futagoyama Factor", I agreed with you. However, after he no longer had that crutch, it seemed to me that his sumo improved. By the time he retired, I was beginning to respect him.