Akinomaki

Kyushu 2021 discussion

Terunofuji's dohyo iri is getting better, his leg raise and stomp is becoming more poweerrful and beautiful day after day. I'm not concerned about the stress of it on his knees no more, if it happens, god forbid, it won't be because of the dohyo iri.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I had completely forgotten about Akiseyama to the point where I had mentally assumed he had retired, when he just took a couple basho off.  Ryuden should still be a favorite, but these guys were both in Makuuchi not too many basho ago.

Yes, Ryuden will rightly be favoured. Akiseyama is 36, and even though he's started out 2-0 I doubt he'll make it to a paid division again. But I've been wrong before.

1 hour ago, ScreechingOwl said:

But I've been wrong before.

I have been told it might be a traumatic experience if it should somehow happen to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

November Kyushu Basho--Day 4--November 17 Links and Statistics Blog Update. Results, Standings, Match reports, Kimarite and Time of Match Statistics, Top Rank Performance, Maegashira v san'yaku, Juryo substitutes, photos, selected videos. Another great JSA video of a fantastic Enho match.

Enjoy

November Basho Day 4 Blog Post

A bloody day in the yusho race and not a good one to be fighting from the East, with just 5 wins from 20 bouts for those guys. The few they did win were important for the championship hunt though, with Chiyotairyu knocking Hokutofuji one off the pace, and Ura and Takayasu winning to stay one off the pace. Shodai and Mitakeumi both lost, with the former now 3-2 and the latter in the immediate chasing pack on 4-1. Terunofuji salvaged some pride for the East side at the end though to snap an 8-bout losing streak. Our leading group has thus now been reduced from six to just three, including Abi.

• Like 1

It's shaping up to be another Teru-Taka race, which is always dramatic in the final stages! Love the clash of styles and dimensions too - good rivalry.

Abi is obviously going to contend too being this low-ranked, but I'm not convinced he's any better than he was when he left makuuchi. Spending your time mostly as a high maegashira/K, getting dropped for reasons that have nothing to do with performance, and then facing guys barely in makuuchi is a great way to make it seem that way though. We shall see how he fares vs tougher tests.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

You forgot the most important piece of information: no zensho-yusho for Sadanoumi!

• Haha 1

What?  No love for Tochinoshin?  

The odds of him securing kachikoshi are now better than those of Kiribayama, Onosho, Shimanoumi, and Kotoeko!

He looked solid against Kagayaki today.  There were no signs of lower back issues, ... which is a good sign! (Applauding...)

• Like 5

Terunofuji vs Takanosho was another great bout! 

Guys who give him a hard time have often been on the receiving end of blatant dame-oshi, but none of that from the yokozuna so far this basho. Dude's got hinkaku in spades. His demeanour before, during and after bouts is spot on. It's such a massive contrast to what we had from Hakuho that it makes me wonder how much better off he might have been under the tutelage of Hakkaku or Shibatayama rather than someone who barely made it to makuuchi (and maybe didn't have the authority to tell him how to behave).

Wakatakakage handing Mr Actually-Very-Consistent-But-Not-Good-Enough-To-Be-Ozeki his first loss was no big deal to me. WTK is way better than his current tally and was due a win.

Also better than his current tally, Kiribayama looked like he was going to get one today - until he lost his footing... sigh.

Ura is a very different rikishi to the slip of a lad who shot up the ranks, but he remains highly unconventional and tricksy. Great win today.

Whilst I agree that Abi vs low makuuchi is no indicator of his potential, I still believe he's improved since his suspension. He looks more in control of himself than he did before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There were many interesting bouts today. Great sumo.

Both Terutsuyoshi's tense victory over Aoiyama and Okinoumi overwhelming Shodai at the tachiai had me rewinding the video for a second look as well.

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

You forgot the most important piece of information: no zensho-yusho for Sadanoumi!

If I were judging, he'd still be on track for it...

The woman in the upper left holding up the black-bordered photo of her dead husband (or father or brother) during the musubi no ichiban was poignant. Was she there on her own behalf, or to vicariously let her loved one see the basho?

"Takayasu, what's wrong with you?" I wish we could have Murray Johnson on commentary every day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gurowake said:
20 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Only 12 hours late but...

Just spotted on the makushita match-ups for tomorrow. Ryuden vs Akiseyama. Hurrah!

I had completely forgotten about Akiseyama to the point where I had mentally assumed he had retired, when he just took a couple basho off.  Ryuden should still be a favorite, but these guys were both in Makuuchi not too many basho ago.

Well Ryuden got through that one, so it's plain sailing to the yusho... except... wait... Remember that Tomokaze chap? Highly likely that he's Ryuden's next (or next but one) opponent.

16 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

I still hope Chiyonokuni lights his fire, i love his spirit and will always cheer for him.

i hope to see him getting into sanyaku at least once in his career, from all the rikishi who haven‘t been in sanyaku he‘s definetly the one who deserves it the most…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kurowashi said:
18 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

I still hope Chiyonokuni lights his fire, i love his spirit and will always cheer for him.

i hope to see him getting into sanyaku at least once in his career, from all the rikishi who haven‘t been in sanyaku he‘s definetly the one who deserves it the most…

So who is the best currently active rikishi never to make sanyaku? Chiyonokuni is definitely a contender, but Tokushoryu won a yusho. I like Chiyoshoma and Kagayaki but I'm in a minority. Hoshoryu? Tomokaze? Tobizaru? Yutakayama? Kotonowaka? What do y'all think?

15 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

So who is the best currently active rikishi never to make sanyaku? Chiyonokuni is definitely a contender, but Tokushoryu won a yusho. I like Chiyoshoma and Kagayaki but I'm in a minority. Hoshoryu? Tomokaze? Tobizaru? Yutakayama? Kotonowaka? What do y'all think?

"Best" is tough, because it's subjective in so many ways.  Best now? Best at any time in their career?

In the current basho, the top-ranked rikishi never (yet) to reach Sanyaku is Hoshoryu -- a good choice "by the numbers" or not.

Highest previous rank below Sanyaku? the M1's: Hoshoryu, Yutakayama, Ciyonokuni, Sadanoumi.

I was surprised to see that Chiyonokuni is older than Yutakayama by 3 years, so he's in a do-or-die situation; he doesn't have the luxury of getting injured yet again, and maybe it's too late already.  My sentimental favorite, of course, is Sadanoumi, who's 34 and probably beyond his sell-by date; his father made Komosubi and served as an Oyakata.

i was referring to it in the sense of active rikishi with quality sumo and realistic chances to have been there or the chance to still get there.. of course thats also subjective.. as much as i enjoy hoshoryu (since hatsu this year, jumped pretty late on the train, wasn‘t convinced before B-)) for example, my choice is for sure chiyonokuni because he‘s a veteran and you gotta love his spirit and aggressive fighting style :-D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kurowashi said:

i was referring to it in the sense of active rikishi with quality sumo and realistic chances to have been there or the chance to still get there.. of course thats also subjective.. as much as i enjoy hoshoryu (since hatsu this year, jumped pretty late on the train, wasn‘t convinced before B-)) for example, my choice is for sure chiyonokuni because he‘s a veteran and you gotta love his spirit and aggressive fighting style :-D

If not for his multiple injuries I'm sure Chiyonokuni would have made himself ineligible for this discussion many basho ago. I hope he gets there eventually, but not looking the goods this basho.

• Like 1

Super bummed about Hakuyozan’s leg. He’s currently at J11 after his slow climb back up to salaried ranks from injury. If he withdraws, he’ll almost certainly drop back down to Makushita again. He's only 26, but his potential to make a lasting comeback seems quite limited due to the leg's vulnerability.

Bushozan showed great tenacity to eke out that shitatenage win over Kaisho. I always enjoy his fights. He’s got Takakeisho’s body, albeit with a much more diverse bag of tools, technique-wise. Can't wait till we see them fight head-to-head.

Terutsuyoshi’s shitatenage throw of a much heavier Aoiyama was well-earned. You almost knew the match was going to go the smaller man’s way once they locked up, despite the big Bulgarian’s brutal assault to his chest/neck/face. Aoiyama’s labored breathing was so loud, he can’t have great cardio carrying all that weight.

Tobizaru obviously still fired up from Day 4 win over Ura, rode that momentum to dispatch Kotonowaka.

While Ura’s tottari on Chiyoshoma was immensely satisfying, was it an arm bar? Think they could have called any number of kimarite there. Not pretty, but a win is a win.

Mitakeumi racks up his first loss in his first match that goes over 15 seconds. Maybe that’s the pattern we’ll see: If he can blow his opponent out of the ring with his initial charge, or soon thereafter, he’s ok, but if it goes remotely long, he gasses out. He's not known for his stamina.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

"Best" is tough, because it's subjective in so many ways.  Best now? Best at any time in their career?

It is subjective, which is what makes it interesting?

55 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

My sentimental favorite, of course, is Sadanoumi

I think Sadanoumi has more maku'uchi wins than any of the other candidates.

If we are looking at how good they were at there absolute best, I would have to go for Yutakayama. Nagoya, 2018, Day 15. Awesome victory over the yusho winner Mitakeumi. One of those matches that sticks in your memory so strongly that you don't even have to look it up (although I did look it up, just to check that my memory wasn't playing tricks)

• Like 2

12 years since the last banzuke on which only a single Makuuchi rikishi was at a new highest rank - back then it was Bushuyama reaching Maegashira 3.