Akinomaki

Aki 2023 discussion (results)

11 minutes ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

Atamifuji should do a henka. Imagine the shitstorm!

Right idea, wrong rikishi...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Indeed a response to last basho, as few as possible after a record sansho shower - we only have Takakeisho to win it now for a drought

And we have a sansho minimum indeed.

I expected a henka after the tachi-ai play, but from Atamifuji

Don't know if the henka was pre-planned as much as Atamifuji just handed it to him on a silver platter. And Takakeisho merely obliged. 

The gap in experience was too large for Atamifuji to overcome. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

You could see Takakeisho messing with the kid's mind in the preliminaries. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want to see an ozeki dodging a M15, regardless of the stakes.

• Like 2

That was a hell of a heel turn. It's also Takakeisho's fourth Yusho, his third as an Ozeki. Perspective matters and injuries sometimes skewer our perception towards him, but that's a damn good Ozeki overall. 

• Like 7

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who does not like Takakeisho one bit (Beinghypocrite...) but unlike Atamufuji I did expect him to henka from the moment there was going to be a playoff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

The gap in experience was too large for Atamifuji to overcome. 

My Japanese isn't the best but I think they said the same on NHK - Atamifuji is still young, he'll remember this experience.

I'm not a fan of his, but you have to feel for him a little. Is it his fault for not expecting it? Maybe. But that's a lot to expect from someone who's in their first ever yusho contention, much less playoff. Here's to hoping he stays good for a while to come.

Edited by Eskbibs
missed word
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

You could see Takakeisho messing with the kid's mind in the preliminaries. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want to see an ozeki dodging a M15, regardless of the stakes.

I have a hard time believing Yokozuna council would count a 11-4 playoff henka yusho for the sake of promotion to Yokozuna. 

• Like 3

So if Takakeisho gets a 14-1 or a zensho (lol) in November do they promote him?

I was already annoyed by that randomly played "Thank you for coming to sumo today", but playing it during the Kimigayo...

3 minutes ago, Leoben said:

So if Takakeisho gets a 14-1 or a zensho (lol) in November do they promote him?

I'm sure they would - the (YDC) rule is yusho in a row and you get promoted, but I'm also sure he'll never get 14 wins

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1