Akinomaki

Aki 2023 discussion (results)

On 21/09/2023 at 01:05, Bunbukuchagama said:

Ichi is too good for Juryo, too bad for Makuuchi. 

Bunbu is too sexy to use people's full name.  Oh wait...

• Haha 2

Onosato and Ichiyamamoto now tied for the lead in juryo. Could be a huge day of playoffs tomorrow! 

9 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Atamifuji just eliminated the 5 loss group.

That already happened when Hokuseiho won to guarantee the existence of two 4-loss rikishi who can be scheduled against each other.

Aoiyama not giving up at the edge. Shodai obliterating Asanoyama. Daieisho beating Kirishima in a belt battle. Awesome day today.

So we (have to) get Hoshoryu-Atamifuji - kadoban avoiding kachi-koshi vs. yusho

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

So we get Hoshoryu-Atamifuji

I concur, much more interesting that Atamifuji Hokuseiho

Takakeisho-Daieisho and Takayasu-Hokuseiho works out for pairing up the 10-4's. That would leave Kirishima stranded, but he's a non-story at this point.

Or maybe they'll do Takakeisho-Takayasu and Daieisho-Hokuseiho to increase the likelihood that Atamifuji will be stopped in the playoffs. ;-)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

So we (have to) get Hoshoryu-Atamifuji - kadoban avoiding kachi-koshi vs. yusho

Hard to see Hoshoryu losing in that case, as he's desperate to avoid kadoban. In which case there's a high probability of a playoff to cap off what's developed into an intriguing Aki basho. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Hard to see Hoshoryu losing in that case, as he's desperate to avoid kadoban. In which case there's a high probability of a playoff to cap off what's developed into an intriguing Aki basho. 

No, they want Atamifuji to win - they gave him Asanoyama and Hoshoryu simply gets Hokuseiho - again the shimpan show how bad they are: it took well over an hour for them to produce this

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Not the result I wanted to see, but that was an amazing win from a very disadvantageous position by Daieisho.

Conversely, the juryo schedule looks pretty good. Two 7-7's against the leaders, two against promotion contenders, and two against each other. Also two other promotion contenders head to head.

(As for that last one - J4w vs J5e. That can't be happening often that a next-door pairing like that is still available for senshuraku...)

44 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

No, they want Atamifuji to win - they gave him Asanoyama and Hoshoryu simply gets Hokuseiho - again the shimpan show how bad they are: it took well over an hour for them to produce this

That's surprising - or perhaps not? An 11-4Y scoreline is useless for Takakeisho's Yokozuna run anyway. Sure, a back-to-back yusho is a back-to-back yusho, but many in this forum voiced their skepticism on whether a 11-4Y would be regarded as an "actual" Yusho.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether they want *Atamifuji* for the win. Asanoyama sits at 8-6 and would make good use of a win. He's unlikely to get a Komusubi spot this time around (Abi is half rank above him and tomorrow will get KK M1e Hokutofuji, likely a softball win since Stompy already has his own Komusubi spot secured), but a 9-6 will secure him the M1e spot and an easy peasy promotion to Komusubi after Kyushu with just a vanilla KK. He cannot risk an 8-7 since Takayasu can still go 11-4 and land a M0e claim (i.e. M1e) for Kyushu. I'd rather say that that this Day 15 torikumi is set to favor an 11-4 playoff between Daieisho and Takayasu (and Atamifuji). Daieisho is in a good shape, and has an actual chance to send Takakeisho to the dirt especially as considering that the Hamster is not 100%. Takayasu also has a relatively softball opponent in Kirishima, who secured his KK already and has no reason whatsoever to crave for a 9-6. Hokuseiho is instead meant to be run over by Hoshoryu. Given this picture, I cannot say I take Atamifuji as the favorite of a 3-way playoff against Daieisho and Takayasu. Also, kicking Atamifuji down against Asanoyama also puts him out of the san'yaku soroibumi, which would make up another reason for not putting him up against Hoshoryu (not to mention that Hokuseiho never showed that killer instinct that other rikishi have, so he represents a less dangerous foe for "better not go kadoban" Hoshoryu than yusho contender Atamifuji).

Edited by Hankegami

So we go to day15 with only 2 divisions knowing their champion. I love it 

Edit : actually i think the fun part comes when you count the amount of rikishi that will wake up tomorow hoping for a yusho day. 16 guys total i think 

Edited by Bakayokozuna

16 minutes ago, Hankegami said:

Given this picture, I cannot say I take Atamifuji as the favorite of a 3-way playoff against Daieisho and Takayasu.

That's what we all thought about Abi in a playoff against Takakeisho and Takayasu last year. :-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

Is Takayasu injured or not?

Against someone who's basically a one-trick (Nishikigi) and someone he can overpower without moving a ton (Tobizaru), it doesn't matter as much. If he's even slightly hurt, though, Kiri should beat his ass sideways.

It is possible, though, that what happened a few days ago was a muscle spasm and not an actual injury. If that's the case, he can still beast out. And still probably lose, because it's Kiri, but y'know. Sumo.

Edited by Sumo Spiffy