Akinomaki

2024 Fuji TV 48th Grand sumo tournament

The Fuji TV 48th Grand sumo one day tournament - Nihon ozumo tournnament -  is on Feb. 11th in the kokugikan https://www.fujitv.co.jp/events/grandsumo/index.html

with the hope that he will (still) be there

GBnmjtla4AAo1jq.jpg:large

PDF flyer https://www.fujitv.co.jp/events/grandsumo/48_grandsumo.pdf

The pairing will be according to the Hatsu basho banzuke

Total prize money: 11.32 million yen https://www.fujitv.co.jp/events/grandsumo/gaiyou.html

last year's results in detail https://www.fujitv.co.jp/events/grandsumo/rikishi02.html

Broadcast live on Fuji TV on first a pay TV channel and later the terrestrial channel

• Like 1

(202320222021, 20202019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015)

https://www.fujitv.co.jp/events/grandsumo/index.html

As the tournament draws were released today, it's time for the customary information round-up for this Sunday's (Feb 11) 48th Grand Sumo Tournament.

As usual, not all the extracurricular activities have been fully confirmed at this point in time, but the big ones are known, so to wit:

• About 120 spectators will be selected by lottery at the entrance for photo opportunities with Kotonowaka, Ura and Atamifuji.
  • The popular chanko-nabe sales are finally back, available in Hakkaku-beya soy sauce and Kasugano-beya shio varieties.
    • In addition, a limited edition of 100 Nishonoseki-beya chanko-nabe stock ingredient packs for home cooking will be on sale.
  • Two "Old boys" exhibition matches have been scheduled: Sanoyama (ex-Chiyonokuni) vs Magaki (ex-Ishiura), and Kiyomigata (ex-Tochiozan) vs Sendagawa (ex-Tokushoryu).

The jinku and shokkiri performers are still TBA.

The four OB participants are entirely different from last year's, and in fact three of 'em weren't even retired yet a year ago, so this is a very fresh lineup.

Doors open at 11:00, with the first action of the day being the juryo tournament starting around noon. All 28 juryo-ranked rikishi from the Hatsu banzuke are scheduled to be in attendance, battling down to three section winners who will determine the champion in a tomoe-sen playoff. Jinku, shokkiri and the old boys exhibition matches will follow, before 39 top division rikishi take over at 14:30 for the televised portion of the event.

The broadcast schedule:

14:30 - 16:05 Fuji TV One (satellite channel)
16:05 - 17:20 Fuji TV (terrestrial)

One will also rebroadcast the whole thing 19:00 - 21:50.

The matches:

Juryo

kyujo: -

Preliminary Round

Oshoumi - Tenshoho
Tochimusashi - Chiyosakae
Chiyomaru - Hidenoumi
Yuma - Akua

Last 24

Takerufuji - Asakoryu
Nishikifuji - Tohakuryu
Shishi - Kotoeko
Tokihayate - Daishoho

Hakuyozan - Oshoumi / Tenshoho
Tamashoho - Roga
Daiamami - Chiyoshoma
Tochimusashi / Chiyosakae - Mitoryu

Kitanowaka - Chiyomaru / Hidenoumi
Shiden - Oshoma
Shirokuma - Kagayaki
Yuma / Akua - Shimanoumi

Isegahama duo Takerufuji and Nishikifuji can potentially meet in the last 12, as well as Chiyoshoma and Chiyosakae. In addition, the three Kise rikishi (Hidenoumi, Shiden, Shimanoumi) are all in the third section with possible meetings in the last 12 or last 6. All other same-stable pairings (Naruto, Oitekaze, Takadagawa, or Kokonoe involving Chiyomaru) can only occur in the tomoe-sen.

Makuuchi

kyujo: Hokutofuji, Hokuseiho, Aoiyama

Preliminary Round

Tomokaze - Endo
Kotoshoho - Sadanoumi
Churanoumi - Onosato

Tsurugisho - Oho
Takanosho - Bushozan
Takarafuji - Shimazuumi
Onosho - Myogiryu

Last 32

(1) Terunofuji - Meisei
Tobizaru - Shonannoumi
Midorifuji - Tomokaze / Endo
Kinbozan - (6) Daieisho

Kotoshoho / Sadanoumi - (5) Kotonowaka
Gonoyama - Nishikigi
Hiradoumi - Churanoumi / Onosato
(4) Takakeisho - Shodai

(2) Kirishima - Tamawashi
Tsurugisho / Oho - Abi
Ichiyamamoto - Asanoyama
Takanosho / Bushozan - (8) Ura

(7) Takayasu - Ryuden
Takarafuji / Shimazuumi - Mitakeumi
Wakamotoharu - Onosho / Myogiryu
Atamifuji - (3) Hoshoryu

Despite no less than 10 stables having multiple representation, no direct same-stable matchups have been drawn, and only Sadogatake (Kotoshoho - Kotonowaka, last 32) and Oitekaze (Endo - Daieisho, last 16) have been put on course for somewhat early potential clashes. The quarterfinals might see Tobizaru against the Endo/Daieisho winner, Sadanoumi - Hiradoumi for Sakaigawa, or Terunofuji - Midorifuji and Takarafuji - Atamifuji for Isegahama.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Last 32

(1) Terunofuji - Meisei
Tobizaru - Shonannoumi

That should be the highlight of the tournament, if it does happen.

1 hour ago, Asapedroryu said:

That should be the highlight of the tournament, if it does happen.

It's very rare for the top rikishi to give it their full effort.  The prize generally isn't worth them risking injury.  I wouldn't be surprised if Meisei wins there, as the money's worth a lot more to him.

28 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

It's very rare for the top rikishi to give it their full effort.  The prize generally isn't worth them risking injury.  I wouldn't be surprised if Meisei wins there, as the money's worth a lot more to him.

If Teru is still pissed off at Tobi he will give the full effort.

Always looks more like a demo than a comp to me. I'll be surprised if Kotonowaka doesn't 'win'.

On 07/02/2024 at 04:34, Asashosakari said:

Two "Old boys" exhibition matches have been scheduled: Sanoyama (ex-Chiyonokuni) vs Magaki (ex-Ishiura), and Kiyomigata (ex-Tochiozan) vs Sendagawa (ex-Tokushoryu).

No slight intended to those listed above, but it would generate more interest if they featured Hakuho, Kakuryu and Kisenosato...  Just my 2 yen..

7 hours ago, Washuyama said:

No slight intended to those listed above, but it would generate more interest if they featured Hakuho, Kakuryu and Kisenosato...  Just my 2 yen..

I'm guessing the top guys are going to the Hakuho Cup since both are on the same day no?

10 hours ago, Washuyama said:

It is my understanding that the OB bouts feature "fan favorites" from the past -- Takamisakari ("Robo Cop") has appeared several times.  Others: Kyokutenho, Aminishiki, Kotooshu, Tenkaiho, ...

This year's batch are quite young, probably due to the glut of retirements during and around COVID.

EDIT: The "Old Boy" concept might not be appropriate, hinkaku-wise, for the ex-Yokozuna.

Edited by Yamanashi

5 hours ago, Chartorenji said:

I'm guessing the top guys are going to the Hakuho Cup since both are on the same day no?

That would be a bit difficult since the Hakuho Cup also takes place at the Kokugikan. It's on Monday.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

EDIT: The "Old Boy" concept might not be appropriate, hinkaku-wise, for the ex-Yokozuna.

I just remember seeing old pics of ex Wakanohana I and Tochinishiki doing the pensioner bouts back probably in the 60s or so.

I guess because Hakuho has the Dreamgirls Cup today, Kakuryu is on schedule for the Fuji Cup. Why he picked this date and not a day after the Hakuho cup is maybe Ladies First.

Edit: Actually it's not the Fuji but the Sky Inc. Cup

Edited by Akinomaki

Henka Fest 2024. Disappointing experience for the fans who paid good money to attend.

Edited by Kaninoyama

2.5 million yen and tomorrow the ozeki promotion party: "Gambarimashita" with a laughing face - after being runner-up last year

img_13ce86049d7f4ecfd3f5cf9a12a64e1b825497.jpg img_bbd17993f1f3c2945a2d1bd686cd1d45686073.jpgo

img_02bcb0a652252affa765550657ca09c91987

OB bout Ishiura-Chiyonokuni - one extra announced like active before the last bout at the intai-zumo

20240211s00005000301000p_thum.jpgo

• Like 1

Hiradoumi was the runner up (beat new Ozeki Kotonowaka in the quarterfinals) and received the kanto-sho. The announcer called him Churanoumi multiple times, to the protests of the crowd. "I didn't complain. The crowd did my work and that was cool.." he said later.

Having a laugh at the "incident".

202402110001195-w500_4.jpg

Quarterfinal win over Kotononozakura yet:

202402110001195-w500_7.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Henka Fest 2024. Disappointing experience for the fans who paid good money to attend.

Hassotobi is kinda cool, though this wasn't the finest exemplar.

1 hour ago, Reonito said:
8 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Hassotobi is kinda cool, though this wasn't the finest exemplar.

I'd say the first was an ok HNH, the second was just dialling it in. And I wouldn't call either a hassōtobi - the only proper one done in the sekitori ranks in recent memory is Enhō.

Put it another way, I didn't pay good money to attend, and it still was kinda disappointing to see Hōshōryū cheapo his way to the prize.

• Like 2

Hoshoryu was just protecting his injured knee, twice! (Henka!!!)

I am surprised that he even participated. 

• Like 2