Akinomaki

Haru 2024 discussion (results)

21 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

A full frontal Takakeisho won't be very easy for Onosato.

Oh boy, that didn't age well...

Next prediction! Takerufuji will beat Hoshoryu and then lose the next three. Then, the yusho will be snatched by Takayasu who will have had some late night emergency coaching from moto-Kisenosato after firing Boris Becker (who always gets fired somehow in the more exiting sports anecdotes).

• Haha 7

So we are at 3 wins behind the leader for the best sanyaku, who happen to be 2 ozeki. I guess that ties some record.

Endo's body language seemed to be pretty defeated after today's loss. Contemplating his drop from makuuchi? Or maybe he just hit his knee hard.

Takayasu's use of Sadanoumi's makikae to upset his balance and throw him in one swift move was just wonderful! Sadanoumi didn't even know what happened until he was sitting down on the dohyo. 

Tamawashi is slowly putting together his usual wins. Wouldn't be surprised if he manages a kachikoshi by the end. 

After a shaky start Gonoyama has done really well and was rewarded with an early kachikoshi. I'm sure Mitakeumi will get his soon. 

What day is it today? asked Shodai from Midorifuji. Why, it's katasukashi day of course! replied Midorifuji. 

Despite doing pretty well this basho at his highest rank, Oho hasn't quite managed to overcome his opponents in the last few days. At 4-7 it unfortunately looks like a makekoshi for him. Nevertheless, hopefully he can bounce back next basho from outside the joi. I feel like he has potential to be a sanyaku, but obviously needs more time. 

Nishikigi sadly looks like he stopped believing that he can win any more bouts this basho unless his opponent falls over by himself. No spark left in his sumo...

Hoshoryuu manages to hang in there against a spirited Daieisho and stay in slight contention for the yusho. A lot of things would have to go his way, but stranger things have happened in sumo. 

If someone would've told me before the basho that Kirishima is makekoshi on day 11, I would've directed that person to the ridiculous predictions thread. Yet here we are. Hope he will turn things around next basho as we've had enough short term ozeki in recent years. 

Wow, just wow Takerufuji! Kotonowaka had a small opening but Takerufuji closed it so quickly and after he got inside the ozeki was done. Day and day again I'm amazed by Takerufuji's strength. Another Isegahama yokozuna in the making? If Takerufuji gets at least 1 more win, he will very likely be at least in a yusho playoff. 2 more and he might be the yusho winner! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Boris Becker

Isn't he in prison or something? Although I guess that won't stop him from being fired. 

Shodai: "Surely he's not going to do it again... Oh, bugger me, he did!"
Midorifuji has got that move so dialled in now, and it looks like some kind of magic trick more than ever.

Takerufuji dealt with Kotonowaka, no bother, and no matter what happens against Hoshoryu tomorrow, he's still going to be in the lead.
Who are they going to give him to next? Kirishima seems pointless this time, and they probably want Takakeisho to KK so that one could be risky. Time to bring the giant-killers into play, I believe. Midorifuji, Tobizaru and maybe Ura would at least make him face some unconventional opposition.

Interesting watching the post-bout reactions of the 2 upstarts. Business as usual for Takerufuji, whereas Onosato looked to be struggling to hold it together.

Kitaharima can prepare for the 10th return to juryo - makekoshi at the bottom.

It's already day 11 and we still have no promotion/demotion thread!

• Like 1

Let's face it with that lead and likely opposition Takerufuji is overwhelming favourite now.

Nishikigi- "You think I can't go from Komusubi to Juryo?!? Hold my sake!" 

(I mean he did get to Komusubi with an 8-7 from M5...)

The young guns took home some nice cash today! Onosato might have been the least surprising upset ever. 

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Hoshoryu will be a stiff test for Takerufuji tomorrow. Still a long way to go. Those with three losses still very much in this. 

Au contraire, Kotonowaka was pretty much the last hope. Hoshoryu has to beat both of the young upstarts, or a miracle bouquet of other results appears somehow. I think Takerufuji can no longer be stopped - but if he is, it's by rematch with Onosato.

On 18/03/2024 at 19:33, WAKATAKE said:

Takerufuji is now tied for 2nd place on the winning streak from Makuuchi debut record at 9 wins. The other wrestlers at 2nd place are the first Sadanoumi and Kaisei. The record belongs to Taiho who had 11 wins from debut

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202403180001498.html

Well, that's Taiho tied! Hoshouryu seems a tough sell for number 12 though. 

They must be feeding Takeru jet fuel or something at Isegahama. Or they found a way to summon the soul of M17e 13-2Y Terunofuji to possess him.

Hosh: WWUD

(What Would Uncle Do?)

1 hour ago, Yarimotsu said:

Au contraire, Kotonowaka was pretty much the last hope. Hoshoryu has to beat both of the young upstarts, or a miracle bouquet of other results appears somehow. I think Takerufuji can no longer be stopped - but if he is, it's by rematch with Onosato.

It's nice to see Tekarufuji's run.  The current crop of Sanyuku is crap (relative to the days of Hak, Haru, Kise, Kak when the current yokozuna Ternofuji was just another rikishi).  I sure hope the likes of Tekarufuji and Onosato can bring better quality to the top sumo.  

Meanwhile, the boy-wonder Hakuoho seems to struggle to get his machi-kochi in juryo.  Has he fully recovered from his injury?  I don't see the same power he displayed on his way to Makuuchi from MS15TD.

Okay, I'll admit, I did not expect Takerufuji to beat Kotonowaka. 

4 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Interesting watching the post-bout reactions of the 2 upstarts. Business as usual for Takerufuji, whereas Onosato looked to be struggling to hold it together.

Probably thinking "any other basho in history I'd be winning the yusho"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Octofuji said:

Probably thinking "any other basho in history I'd be winning the yusho"

If he'd have beaten Takerufuji yesterday he'd still be in the running. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From not being able to win a title in high school or college, not even getting a single sandanme tsukedashi qualification, to blasting out makuuchi elite like nothing. Incredible transformation for Takerufuji since turning pro. My only worry is that his traps may soon swallow his head.

And how about Onosato's one arm launching of Takakeisho. I felt bad seeing him fly like that.

Edited by Katooshu

6 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Oh boy, that didn't age well...

Next prediction! Takerufuji will beat Hoshoryu and then lose the next three. Then, the yusho will be snatched by Takayasu who will have had some late night emergency coaching from moto-Kisenosato after firing Boris Becker (who always gets fired somehow in the more exiting sports anecdotes).

The more exciting anecdote regarding Boris Becker I will ever remember is when he was imbued by the Holy Ghost and conceived a child magically. Never trust spitters.

Regarding Takayasu, don't play with my feelings.

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Patience, he can even afford to lose 1 more. Go ask Chiyosakae.

As my early call for Ama's spirit didn't work, let Uncle's spirit possess Nephew so he can throw away the newbie the same way Asa did to Baruto when the estonian jokingly threatened to lift him up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

It's already day 11 and we still have no promotion/demotion thread!

You can work it out for yourself

I don't know how to set it out properly, but for instance:

Makunouchi ->Juryo

Almost certainly down: Endo, Kitanowaka, Shimazuumi

Needs 2 wins: Daiamami, Myogiryu

Needs 1 win: Hokutofuji, Roga, Churanoumi, Ryuden

Juryo->Makunouchi

Needs 1 win: Mitoryu

Needs 2 wins: Tokihayate, Daishoho

Needs 3 wins: Takarafuji, Tomokaze, Oshoma

Needs 4 wins: Shirokuma, Asakoryu

I think that's right

Taiho's 11-0 included a fusen and he didn't face anyone in the sanyakuu, so Hoshoryu absolutely crushing him today won't be too much of a biggie.

I'm still bitter Daishoho got a huge bump like a year ago to makuuchi while Enho got something like a rank or half rank promo for the same score. Just currently channeling all possible jinx against that guy rn

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

You can work it out for yourself

I don't know how to set it out properly, but for instance:

Makunouchi ->Juryo

Almost certainly down: Endo, Kitanowaka, Shimazuumi

Needs 2 wins: Daiamami, Myogiryu

Needs 1 win: Hokutofuji, Roga, Churanoumi, Ryuden

Juryo->Makunouchi

Needs 1 win: Mitoryu

Needs 2 wins: Tokihayate, Daishoho

Needs 3 wins: Takarafuji, Tomokaze, Oshoma

Needs 4 wins: Shirokuma, Asakoryu

I think that's right

I don't have time to run the thread this basho, but this looks right to me. A little early for san'yaku turnover, but Nishikigi is out and atm Onosato would take his spot. Three vacancies opening up in Juryo: Hokuseiho, Kotoeko, Kitaharima. Onokatsu is coming up, Chiyomaru and Kazekeno would join him with a win but are eliminated with a loss, Kayo, Tsukahara, and Nabatame still in contention.

13 hours ago, Tochinofuji said:

As much as I'd like to see a swift return to makuuchi happen for Wakatakakage, I think we're likely to see at least one more Juryo basho for him. Though hope I'll be proven wrong on that count! 

After his loss today, I don't think even winning out would do it, unless there's carnage in both makuuchi and juryo. 12-3 from J10 isn't a real promotion claim, so he'd only go up if there's someone they can't keep in makuuchi and there are no better candidates for the spot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

I wonder who gets to be his opponent for the last bout.

Onokatsu?

1 hour ago, Oskanohana said:
7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Patience, he can even afford to lose 1 more. Go ask Chiyosakae. 

Definitely not - a returner at the bottom with 9 losses never remained http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=3&n_basho=3&form1_rank=ms&form2_rank=j14&form2_wins=6&form2_losses=9&form3_rank=j

At j14e he'll remain with 8 losses, if there is no need to promote someone and no other is demotable, but he has 4 more days to lose another