Akinomaki

Haru 2024 discussion (results)

Just now, Jakusotsu said:

Unlikely. At least Hoshoryu-Kotonowaka will still happen, no matter what.

I fixed it

8 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

No ozeki bouts at all for some of them this basho would be new territory, only Kotonowaka-Takakeisho tomorrow

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Unlikely. At least Hoshoryu-Kotonowaka will still happen, no matter what*.

(*disregarding kyujo, of course)

I would guess Takakeisho-Hoshoryu happens on Day 14, too, unless Onosato wins and Takerufuji loses tomorrow (-> Onosato-Hoshoryu would make more sense). In any other scenario Onosato trails the yusho lead by at least 2 with two days to go and there's no particular reason to throw him to the wolves anymore.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Kitanowaka gave Ichiyamamoto a taste of his own medicine, chasing him around the dohyo with intense pushing attacks until Ichiyamamoto had enough and rolled over. Today's Kitanowaka looked the best of this basho.

Sadanoumi huffed and puffed and lifted Daiamami out in the torinaoshi to get his seventh win. One of the more successful veterans this basho, it's good to see he still has the spark and strength to keep going.

Other veterans didn't have such a good day, Tamawashi and Myogiryuu both picking up a seventh loss. Endo got a hikiotoshi win, but that doesn't help much in his case. 

Oho is unfortunately makekoshi after a string of losses, but at least he can take away some good forward moving sumo from this basho, topped by a kinboshi. 

Ura! Great resistance to an obviously stronger Meisei until he managed to slip behind him and send Meisei out. Was surprised that Meisei didn't try a pulldown. Always entertaining sumo when Ura is around. Kachikoshi is not that far away either. 

Great yotsu battle between Asanoyama and Takanosho, who put up a good resistance. In the end Asanoyama was simply better, much like Hoshoryuu was better than him. 

Well, I was wrong about Nishikigi who put up a very good fight against Atamifuji. Too bad it didn't amount to anything as Nishikigi got his 11th loss. It's hard not to feel bad about him, it's not like he isn't putting in the effort but the results just don't follow. 

Gonoyama managed to exploit Daieisho's pushing very well for a pulldown. Earlier this basho it looked like Daieisho is resurgent and Gonoyama starts losing, but the roles have very much reversed. 

Is Takakeisho's neck getting worse again? That was a very soft tachiai against Wakamotoharu who is a strong yotsu rikishi. Takakeisho would've wanted to push him away form the mawashi as far as possible, yet he gave up a grip right away. 

Hoshoryuu! He obviously came to the bout with a plan and executed it well, eve though he didn't get a mawashi grip. Takerufuji has been stopped, now let's see how that reflects in his sumo tomorrow. 

Kirishima getting yorikiried by even Midorifuji!? Now that's something you don't see every day. 

Kotonowaka did against Onosato what he couldn't do yesterday against Takerufuji. I've felt a while already that Onosato is susceptible to yotsu sumo, he doesn't seem to have a good plan if an opponent manages to get a good grip, except attempting to move forward using his raw power. Sometimes it works out, like against Wakamotoharu. But sometimes it doesn't and that was very obvious today. 

Now with the upstarts having been slowed down, the excitement continues! All eyes will be on Takerufuji, and whether he will be able to maintain concentration. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I thought Takerufuji was just a little bit too eager today. He had Hoshoryu moving backwards, but the ozeki is dangerous going in any direction.
It was a fantastically tall order for the rookie to remain unbeaten, but Taiho's record is an illustrious one to equal.
He's got a similar calibre opponent in Wakamotoharu tomorrow, IMO, so now is the time to see where his mental game is at. Will he bounce back? Hasn't come across as a choker so far...

Is there any word on what's ailing Kirishima? Dude's giving me Mitakeumi vibes...

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Asakoryu smacking down Wakatakakage was oddly satisfying, although I am a fan of both.

Shishi one away from KK and looking stronger, more mobile, and possessed of more ring sense than ever. Could we be witnessing the naissance of the next Tochinoshin? Styles and body types not dissimilar, non?

Not happy to see Akua in pain after bout with Hidenoumi. I wasn’t a fan before, but met him and found him to be a charming personality, so support him now. 

No surprise, Kitaharima doesn’t have what it takes to hang and bang in Juryo. Strength-wise, found lacking. Nice seeing him in prime time again, but that was that.

Asanoyama with a good win, but the forced year off clearly sapped him of the overwhelming power his supporters hoped he’d continue to wield against his opponents.

The big news, obviously, was Hoshoryu playing the stopper. I also enjoyed the derailment of the hype train, however exciting, at least temporarily.

Then there is Onosato, who could not perform in the clutch. A big fight for him. Surely he’ll learn from the experience and move on.

A very entertaining day of fights. Wish I was in Osaka.

Edited by since_94

49 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Could we be witnessing the naissance of the next Tochinoshin? Styles and body types not dissimilar, non?

I don't see a style similarity at all. Shishi is not nearly as aggressive as Tochinoshin. 

~

Will they have Kirishima take the fall for Takakeisho on day 14 or wait until 15? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

Shishi one away from KK and looking stronger, more mobile, and possessed of more ring sense than ever. Could we be witnessing the naissance of the next Tochinoshin?

No way, Aonishiki will overtake him by the end of the year and next year become the 2nd Ukrainian ozeki (after Taiho)

3 hours ago, since_94 said:

Shishi one away from KK and looking stronger, more mobile, and possessed of more ring sense than ever. Could we be witnessing the naissance of the next Tochinoshin? Styles and body types not dissimilar, non?

To me, he looks more like Baruto.

Takerufuji equalled Taiho's 11 straight wins for a shin-nyumaku. However, Taiho didn't get a sanyaku opponent until day 12 of the basho, and didn't face any ozeki at all. Takerufuji however faced already 2, and was only defeated by the second. 

Also, I can't help but wonder what would Hakuho think of the new upstarts if he was still active? "Wow, new toys! Let's see how I can break them!" 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, dingo said:

Takerufuji equalled Taiho's 11 straight wins for a shin-nyumaku. However, Taiho didn't get a sanyaku opponent until day 12 of the basho, and didn't face any ozeki at all. Takerufuji however faced already 2, and was only defeated by the second.

Not to forget that Taiho wasn't alone in the lead, let alone 2 wins in front.

Posted (edited)

What a time to be a young Maegashira. Not so long ago one would have to face Hakuho, Harumafuji and Kakuryu, plus Goeido and Kisenosato as very respectable Ozeki unlike the ones currently handing out wins east and west.

Edited by Hakuho Oyakata
Misspelled
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hakuho Oyakata said:

What a time to be a young Maegashira. Not so long ago one would have to face Hakuho, Harumafuji and Kakuryu, plus Goeido and Kisenosato as very respectable Osekis unlike the ones currently handing out wins east and west.

It's long enough ago for time to have given you rose-tinted specs about 'ozekiwake' Goeido...

I'll grant that Kirishima's performance this time is very concerning. Hoshoryu and Kotonowaka are technically still in the yusho race, though, which is as much as can be reasonably expected. Takakeisho is a win away from clearing kadoban. If he gets it, the worn-out ozeki has exceeded expectations, IMHO.

6 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

It's long enough ago for time to have given you rose-tinted specs about 'ozekiwake' Goeido...

I'll grant that Kirishima's performance this time is very concerning. Hoshoryu and Kotonowaka are technically still in the yusho race, though, which is as much as can be reasonably expected. Takakeisho is a win away from clearing kadoban. If he gets it, the worn-out ozeki has exceeded expectations, IMHO.

Goeido may have been an Ozekiwake because of the skill level of those around him, but my opinion is that he was a better rikishi than any of the Ozeki that we curently have.

• Like 1

Honestly, the boring Goeido would be a different animal not having to face Hakuho, two more yokozunas and Kisenosato.
Heck, even a younger Takayasu would have snatched a few Yusho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Yeah, Goeido was "ozekiwake" but that is in part because of the level of competition he had to face for most of his Ozeki career... competition that is unquestionably better. In the end, Goeido ended up with loosing record against all four Yokozuna and was more or less equal to other Ozeki (and even some Sekiwakes). It's hard to have good records when you're pretty much guaranteed between 4 and 6 loses to other top guys you had to face.

13 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Update on promotion and relegation after day 12

Hokutofuji removed himself from the relegation queue with a win over Roga. Mitoryu looks to have secured his promotion.

Makunouchi ->Juryo

Almost certainly down: Endo, Kitanowaka, Shimazuumi

Needs 2 wins: Daiamami, Myogiryu

Needs 1 win: Roga, Churanoumi, Ryuden

Juryo->Makunouchi

Almost certainly up: Mitoryu

Needs 2 wins: Tokihayate, Daishoho,Takarafuji, Tomokaze, Oshoma

Needs 3 wins: Asakoryu

I started a thread... 

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

No way, Aonishiki will overtake him by the end of the year and next year become the 2nd Ukrainian ozeki (after Taiho)

He's a very different fighter though, no?

4 hours ago, Sakura said:

Goeido may have been an Ozekiwake because of the skill level of those around him, but my opinion is that he was a better rikishi than any of the Ozeki that we curently have.

You only have to recall his day 15 bout against Takakeisho that derailed the latter's first promotion bid.

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

That's a new piece of information, a very dear one from me! My grandfather was Ukranian!

What's wrong with Kirishima? Mainoumi and other commentators early on in the proceedings were gushing about the Ozeki looking strongest of everyone during keiko leading up to the basho. And then he has proceeded to lay a giant egg, with no visible signs of injury. And it seemed like just yesterday that he was making a run at the rope. Now he's back down in Kadoban hell.

Such is the life of an Ozeki. 

44 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

What's wrong with Kirishima? Mainoumi and other commentators early on in the proceedings were gushing about the Ozeki looking strongest of everyone during keiko leading up to the basho. And then he has proceeded to lay a giant egg, with no visible signs of injury. And it seemed like just yesterday that he was making a run at the rope. Now he's back down in Kadoban hell.

Such is the life of an Ozeki. 

Married maybe? :-D

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, bettega said:

Married maybe? :-D

The worst thing to happen to a rikishi. Other than having a bout of roid rage, of course.