Akinomaki

Haru 2024 discussion (results)

I was lucky enough to watch in person today (but naturally not lucky enough to see Onosato win as I was hoping). I arrived during what I assumed to be the middle of Makushita. Assorted things I noticed:

- A rikishi by the name of Ryuusei (?) gave some real unsportsmanlike looks after winning his bout. I feel like I've heard talk of him on the forum but I'm not sure

- The love for the Waka bros is really strong. I was sitting next to someone (from Osaka) who couldn't decide whether they wanted Ura or Wakamotoharu to win

- You can hear this on Youtube too, but the crowd really turns on for Ura. To say nothing of the sea of pink towels across the stadium

- A lot of people seemed to be unaware that Terunofuji was kyujo before they came. There was audible disappointment following the announcement of no dohyo-iri

- There were a lot of foreigners beside myself. A whole contingent of (presumably) Ukranian fans were present for Shishi's bout - I'm not sure if they got shown on the TV broadcast or not

- Kounosuke really is the best. Seeing him move in person, in comparison to the other gyoji, is a treat

Also, in case anyone else is going later on, and on a sold-out day, and also happens to have big legs like myself, prepare for some pain. I don't remember having this problem in Tokyo when I went 4 years ago but maybe the 10 kg I've put on since then makes the difference...

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Reminder that Nishikigi started 1-6  then got 8 straight wins in May last year. Bet on it now- he’s going 9-6 and taking Daieishō’s sekiwake slot 

Edited by rokudenashi
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Eskbibs said:

- A rikishi by the name of Ryuusei (?) gave some real unsportsmanlike looks after winning his bout. I feel like I've heard talk of him on the forum but I'm not sure

I noticed him as well during the broadcast what was that about? He seemed quite mad at his opponent for some reason, he kept staring at him even after they stepped off the dohyo.

4 hours ago, Miyam said:
5 hours ago, Eskbibs said:

A rikishi by the name of Ryuusei (?) gave some real unsportsmanlike looks after winning his bout. I feel like I've heard talk of him on the forum but I'm not sure

I noticed him as well during the broadcast what was that about? He seemed quite mad at his opponent for some reason, he kept staring at him even after they stepped off the dohyo.

I have no idea what caused it, but even if there was a reason that was poor conduct from Ryusei, who has been around long enough to know better. I wonder if he'll be withdrawn from the basho as a consequence.

The old Twitter account of Kagamiyama-beya hadn't posted anything in nearly 14 months. Then today:

恥ずかしい

Embarrassing

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

What about Tobizaru and Hiradoumi? By my reckoning, they would have had to go down to M4W to give Terunofuji a full schedule (assuming no upstarts from lower down to deal with). That puts them in the joi, doesn't it?

The over-promotions were mainly those in the K-M3 zone rather than purely sanyaku. Like Oho, whose 3-4 is 3 wins better than I expected of him, tbh. He'll have an 'easier' 2nd week, too, and might even KK.

When I posted yesterday, they were 3-3...

I'd wager that Kirishima will still get his 8 wins. What folks need to remember vis-a-vis Kirishima's performance this basho is that Kotonowaka is scheduled for winning the yusho, getting the rope, discovering a cure for cancer and going to Disneyland. So Kirishima needs an early deficit so he can fight hard the second week and make Kotonowaka's victory look more convincing without threatening the yusho. Also I heard that while on a secret mission for the Queen of Sweden Harumafuji was in disguise in a mawashi on a yacht in the Mediterranean and at a dinner part was struck upon the head in a freak champagne bottle accident and lost his memories and fell overboard and washed up on the coast of Japan and was recruited by Tokitsukaze beya and is none other than Shodai. You can tell it's true because the tachi-ai are almost identical. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I predict Abi for day 9.

No way. I don't think he even gets Onosato before day 10.

4 hours ago, Benevolance said:

I'd wager that Kirishima will still get his 8 wins. What folks need to remember vis-a-vis Kirishima's performance this basho is that Kotonowaka is scheduled for winning the yusho, getting the rope, discovering a cure for cancer and going to Disneyland. So Kirishima needs an early deficit so he can fight hard the second week and make Kotonowaka's victory look more convincing without threatening the yusho. Also I heard that while on a secret mission for the Queen of Sweden Harumafuji was in disguise in a mawashi on a yacht in the Mediterranean and at a dinner part was struck upon the head in a freak champagne bottle accident and lost his memories and fell overboard and washed up on the coast of Japan and was recruited by Tokitsukaze beya and is none other than Shodai. You can tell it's true because the tachi-ai are almost identical. 

OK, sorry, no one started up Ridiculous Predictions.  I swear, next basho for sure.

• Like 2

Unless Takerufuji or Onosato pummel the upper ranks in the next days, this is looking like a stellar 11-4 yusho. And maybe without a playoff, things are that bad. Finally we get back to a somewhat regular 5-guy Y/O group (my headcanon "normal" is 2 Y + 4 O for a total of 6), with 3 of them in his prime or on the upswing at least and this basho happens:

• Terunofuji has done his job for the year and I don't think his mind is in it. He needs a real contender to light a fire up his ass. But maybe if this contender appeared, he'd just fade out because his body couldn't follow. Don't really know. Still, he's out.
  • Kirishima has a phantom pain somewhere, because he's looking absolutely terrified of any contact. Out of contention.
  • Hoshoryu seems like his usual self, sucking more often than not, but getting his wins here and there en route to a "pedestrian" 9-10 wins. And I say pedestrian because this guy should be a yokozuna-in-waiting. He has clearly the ability, lacks a bit in the body department but could compensate it with speed...but no, he gets dominated way too often and just stands there waiting for a flashy counter instead of imposing his will. Frustrating.
  • Takakeisho is probably praying nobody charges at him full speed and breaks his neck. He should be happy escaping his kadoban.
  • Kotonowaka is doing...fine...I guess. I don't see him cleaning the field though, but maybe he has the best chance of these bums. He probably is peaking though and if he can maintain this peak for a couple of years, maybe he'll get some yushos to his name just by being there.

I won't consider Wakamotoharu or Abi by virtue of being too solid but unimpressive (Waka) or too chaotic (Abi).

Then, 2 maegashiras with a whooping experience of 4 bashos in the paid ranks between them are the ones to save the day. Really??? And they still haven't been tested. They are blasting through the competition waaaay too easily. That's the job of the guys up here. The bums. You two should be learning, scrapping, testing your skills....They're not to blame though. One can understand with Onosato's size and speed, but Takerufuji is more normal sized and I thought he'd be somehow stopped on his meteoric rise to the tune of a normal 10-5 + Kantosho debut. But I seem to be wrong as he's completely demolished every single one of his aites. I sincerely hope the spirit of Ama possesses somebody in the upper ranks and shows the youths their place.

At least we can watch Wakatakakage going for a zensho in juryo to see some "excellence". Please, Lord, save me with your Noodly Appendage.

/rant off

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As mentioned already before the basho, Makushita extremely boring this time... (Yawning...)

Edit: Yago yusho would be fitting.

Edited by Jakusotsu

8 hours ago, Reonito said:
19 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I predict Abi for day 9.

No way. I don't think he even gets Onosato before day 10.

:-P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oskanohana said:

Unless Takerufuji or Onosato pummel the upper ranks in the next days, this is looking like a stellar 11-4 yusho.

"Stellar 11-4 yusho" is exactly the sort of condition that's conducive to a makujiri yusho. I'll won't write off Takerufuji until several someones actually beat him. (Likewise, but less so, for Onosato.) "Favourite" is overselling it, but I fancy his chances more than I fancied Tokushoryu's.

...and I've just jinxed him, haven't I?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Sue said:

...and I've just jinxed him, haven't I?

Nah, he will surely go zensho.

• Like 1

A couple of basho ago Atamifuji went 10-1 at M15, and then 11-2 at M8 by smashing the guys at the bottom end of the banzuke for the first week, and ended up at 11-4 for both basho, once he ran up against the big boys. I predict something similar for Onosato and Takerufuji this basho, and that one of the 6-2 Ozeki (or Abi) will take either a 13-2, or 12-3 yusho. I hope I'm wrong, because it would be cool for one of them to win it, but that's a more likely outcome.

7 hours ago, Oskanohana said:

At least we can watch Wakatakakage going for a zensho in juryo to see some "excellence". Please, Lord, save me with your Noodly Appendage.

and-its-gone-meme-2_10.jpg.7b636d7fc19565c35e66815df1f1c54a.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

to my surprise after 3 mediocre (at best) days haruyama defeated former sekitori fujiseiun convincingly to reach 3-1

1 hour ago, Morty said:

A couple of basho ago Atamifuji went 10-1 at M15, and then 11-2 at M8 by smashing the guys at the bottom end of the banzuke for the first week, and ended up at 11-4 for both basho, once he ran up against the big boys. I predict something similar for Onosato and Takerufuji this basho, and that one of the 6-2 Ozeki (or Abi) will take either a 13-2, or 12-3 yusho. I hope I'm wrong, because it would be cool for one of them to win it, but that's a more likely outcome.

Yeah, the difference in average talent level between the top and bottom of the maegashira ranks is pretty big.

I mentioned a few days ago that I wanted to see Onosato up against the big boys asap. He had his shinnyumaku kanto-sho last time, so now's the time to really test him. IMHO, it's in the NSK's best interest to fast track him - give him the experience to learn from.

Takerufuji, as a rookie, deserves a little more leeway before they stick it to him, but stick it to him they should in the last few days. 

For over a year now, the yusho has been won by a Y, O or a rikishi about to become O. I don't see that changing this time, but yeah, it would be especially cool if Takerufuji took it. Start of a new legend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Takerufuji, as a rookie, deserves a little more leeway before they stick it to him, but stick it to him they should in the last few days. 

They've given him Abi tomorrow. Couple of days earlier than I expected, but I'm not complaining.

In tomorrow's final bout they are fighting for the fourth win. On day nine. Cumulated. Either one will have three or both will have two. A real komusubi no ichiban.

Except komusubi Abi has six wins today. So double of both.

Spoiler

ko meaning small, musubi no ichiban last bout of the day

• Like 1

I think that Takerufuji's bubble will be popped tomorrow. Abi looks like he's "got in on him" (Northern English for being somewhat disgruntled and willing to share one's pain physically with whomsoever one encounters) this basho. The list of yusho contenders consists of men he's already fought or ones he should beat on a reasonably good day.

My yusho prediction is Abi in a play-off.

This could look monumentally daft in about 14 hours time.

• Like 1

Like most other people, I'm quite amazed by Takerufuji. Where does the take the power to move everyone out seemingly so easily? He has a strong upper body, but those stick legs look quite unconvincing.

Endo just can't quite get it right. He had a good tachiai today, but fell prey too easily to Ichiyamamoto's pulldown. If he wants to stay in makuuchi, he better start winning soon. Hokutofuji is in the same boat, but at least has a better excuse cause it looks like he's injured.

Shodai losing to a M16!? Maybe my reverse jinxing had the opposite effect after all. I just give up at this point, let the sumo gods decide what they want to do with him.

Tamawashi seemed to be one of the harder opponents for Onosato so far with his strong pushes and fierce nodowa. Yet still not quite enough to trouble the young upstart. Looking forward to seeing him against stronger opposition soon.

Nishikigi seemingly left all his steam at the kinboshi bout against Terunofuji. Not much resistance against Asanoyama, who admittely showed some strong sumo today.

Takakeisho seems more confident to lead with his head and smash directly into opponents. Today that gave him victory over Oho, and he also used it yesterday. Maybe he smells a potential opening for another yusho? I know he's fearless, but I hope he won't be too reckless, wouldn't want to see him again lying down limp on the dohyo like in the past...

Hoshouryuu likewise probably thinks he might have a chance for the yusho, so puts in lots of effort to keep himself in the running after getting almost defeated by a confident Takanosho.

Go Tobizaru! Excellent slapping contest with Kirishima today, followed by some smart mawashi work from an advantageous lower position. Kirishima did try but wasn't able to do much in the end. I thought I caught Hoshouryuu giving a pitying glimpse at his mongolian colleague when he was leaving the dohyo.

Now this is the sumo that took Kotonowaka to ozeki last basho! Relentless aggressive pushing, using his long arms well, keeping his opponent in front of him and not letting up at the dohyo edge. Well deserved sixth win for the shin-ozeki.

After 8 days the yusho is still wide open, though I have a gut feeling we will see a familiar face lifting the Emperor's Cup in the end. Not quite sure yet which face though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hakuryuho said:
15 hours ago, Oskanohana said:

T'was a typo, I meant Wakatakamoto and "in makushita".

35 minutes ago, Faustonowaka said:

My money is on dark horse Mitakeumi

Come on, he's not so dark. Tanned at best. Mokonami was a true brotha.

If all of you's need further proof, not even Takayasu is dignifying this sham of a yusho race with a late meltdown.

14 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Edit: Yago yusho would be fitting.

Good, let the hate flow through you.... I'm enjoying Deru-deru, Kazekeno at least.

On another note, I've been thoroughly unimpressed by both new tsukedashis this time. Very poor showings.

Lastly, I'll ask here, why not. What's the chance of Miyagino-beya being absorbed by Kasugano so the streak of 80+ years of sekitorihood is kept alive by Tochihakuoho? Because if Tsukahara is their only hope (oh, the pain) and Aoiyama was already adopted to start with, let's just roll with it. Tochikamiyama...you were the chosen one!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oskanohana said:

Because if Tsukahara is their only hope (oh, the pain) and Aoiyama was already adopted to start with, let's just roll with it. Tochikamiyama...you were the chosen one!

Tsukahara defeating himself out of the makushita joi (as always) has certainly been painful to watch. And Tochikamiyama... I haven't given up hope.