Kaninoyama

Hokuseiho Out- Hakuho Demoted - Miyagino-beya Closing

43 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Among the reported bullying accusations: hitting the victims and torching them with fire (what?!).

The latter comes from Tokyo Sports, for those wondering.

• Thanks 1

I'd been wondering when this situation would make it to the forum.

Assuming the allegations are true (which seems a fair assumption), good riddance. Lucked into a huge body and a connection to the greatest of all time as a coach and mentor since childhood, and this is what he makes of it. Ridiculous.

• Like 5

The fact none of the articles are saying they are thinking of dumping Miyagino (and rather, demoting) tells me either his involvement was limited, or his efforts to stop Hokuseiho were in vein somehow. Feels like if he was really involved he'd already been thrown out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

Incredibly lighthearted considering the situation, but there's definitely a "wallet beneath the mawashi" joke somewhere.

To cure this, they should have matched him with the rikishi with the mummified bunny in his mawashi, because ... wait, that kid had his mawashi stolen!  (Detective...)

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202402210001519.html

Another source saying Hakuho likely to be demoted. Could Kintamayama's prophecy yet come to fruition? Last time a dai-yokozuna was demoted to toshiyori we saw him exit not long after

what a truly terrible waste if hakuho ends up exiting the sumo world on account of hokuseiho, although i suppose people in sumo have been undone in equivalently farcical ways.

• Thanks 1

On 22/02/2024 at 07:49, TheGunbaiHolder said:

What is he now? What will change for him as a simple toshiyori?

He's i-in, one below the executive ranks: the way there now is long again, and of course a lower income, about 3 million yen less a year - and he will also have a pay reduction on top of that - the compliance committee punishment draft will likely be acknowledged tomorrow by the rijikai without change, and maybe they'll order changes in the heya administration on top of that

- Taka had Takanofuji as the one to get him out, at the 2nd go - one more infraction and Hakuho is out

Hakuho and Hokuseiho yesterday after the hearing at the compliance committee

20240222-OHT1I51002-N.jpgo 20240222-OHT1I51023-N.jpgo 20240222-OHT1I51464-N.jpgo 20240222-OHT1I51003-N.jpgo

back at the heya

202402210001519-w200_1.jpgo202402210001519-w200_0.jpgo  photo_280x210.jpgo

Hokkaido NHK

7000065058_20240222122433_s.jpgvid

out goes the first foreigner to be accepted as with Japanese shusshin

NHK scrapped a feature about the Hakuho-cup, that was to be aired today in the News5 sumo corner o

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 2

Not that this has any connection to the scandal, but I found it interesting that at the 2023 Hatsu basho, Hokuseiho would arrive outside the Kokugikan in a large luxury model SUV with loud music blaring that would spill out when the rear passenger door opened and he exited the vehicle. It was always that Mongolian group The Hu, if memory serves , and he seemed to have something of an entourage traveling with him, not all of whom would debark along with him. It struck me, at the time, as more like a rock star’s entrance than what we would normally expect from a rikishi. I just chalked it up to being a young generation thing. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I hope that the reports that Hakuho will be demoted, not ousted are true. It would be a pity to lose him over a delinquent deshi. 

I also hope that Hakuho draws important lessons from this. For one, never let anything like this happen again and react quickly and decisively to any infractions by deshi. He is the oyakata, the ultimate power in the heya after all. And secondly, his status as a dai yokozuna and beyond doesn't count for anything in the Kyokai, especially in cases such as these. If anything they make him more of a target. 

• Thanks 2

Imagine having 0.001% athletic talent for a sport and being potentially set for life and throwing it away and destroying your career at 22 because you lack even the most basic amount of self-awareness and control. And this speaks terribly of Hakuho too. It's not like there are no precedents of bullying wrecking a heya and ending an oyakata's career. With the special terms they imposed on him, he should have done everything in his power to stop this from happening. Like others have said, I hope his punishment is only a demotion and not outright expulsion. 

• Like 2

Hakuho betting on the wrong horse in an understatement. He took care of him and always took him to events like he was a right hand man. And what a way for Hokuseiho to pay him back. Zannen da!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

It's rather that this was the only reason

I was under the impression that he himself asked to go kyujo, bringing about Ishiura and Hakuhou's wrath, causing them to call him lazy etc . 

Umm.. Errm.. Are we getting closer to my prediction here? The one everyone thought I was being very wrong about? 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Umm.. Errm.. Are we getting closer to my prediction here? The one everyone though i was being very wrong about? 

Well... Hakuho is probably still expensive for the jsa...

18 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Umm.. Errm.. Are we getting closer to my prediction here? The one everyone though i was being very wrong about? 

You may have noticed me being very quiet 'til now...

I hope not. Not just as he seemed to be becoming accepted as part of the establishment. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it turns out to be more a betrayal of trust on Hokuseiho's part than negligence on Miyagino's.
As oyakata he's responsible for what goes on in his stable, but it's impossible for him to see everything.

There'll be some backroom politicking going on, no doubt, but is the NSK even in a healthy enough financial situation to get rid of him?
The mutual dependence remains, IMO.

• Like 5

Hokuseihou has submitted his intai papers. Miyagino's punishment will be finalized tomorrow. 

• Sad 3

What makes me sad is that there's no chance of redemption for Hokuseiho, he's young, and young people do stupid shit all the time, especially when they're in powerful positions. I'd rather see him have to go to therapy to help get his problems under control, rather than just be thrown out without any other recourse. The culture in sumo won't change as fast unless the people in it can change, if he had been given that chance and still continued to bully and steal, then throw his ass out. Hakuho is definitely to blame too for not intervening sooner, he is responsible for kids and young adults and needs to keep abreast of what's going on between his charges. Obviously, he can't know everything that happens, he's not omnipotent, but if he had the trust of his wrestlers like he should, the theft of money should've been immediately brought to his attention at the very least. His claiming no knowledge shows that he is very out of touch with what is going on in his own stable and needs to face a harsh lesson for it to never happen again. This just circles back around to their needing to be a clincal behavioral therapist at every heya so that shit like this can be stopped from the beginning.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

What should we send you as an apology?

40 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

What should we send you as an apology?

I bet it's steaks.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Benihana said:

I bet it's steaks.

Are you betting a steak it's steaks?

• Haha 1