Jejima

Bench Men's Euros 2024

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone!

Back in 2010, we had the inaugural Bench World Cup.  This is a fantasy sports game played during the football (soccer) World Cup.  Since then, there has been three further Men's Bench World Cups in 2014, 2018 and 2022, three Men's Bench Euros in 2012, 2016 and 2021 AND last year we had the first Women's Bench World Cup.

Yesterday, we learnt of the the final three qualifiers for the upcoming Men's Euros, beginning in mid-June, in Germany. So, whilst there is still some post-basho traffic, and long before the next basho is due, time to kick-off the Men's Bench Euros 2024. 

Here are the basic rules of the game (There may be an odd tweak needed, but they are pretty much 'fixed' as is.)

From previous experience, the game can be a little rushed to organise immediately after a sumo tournament, and I certainly don't want to organise it during a sumo tournament!

So, I am starting this topic now, in order to get people to sign up to play and to volunteer be a 'refioji' (referee/gyoji - term originally coined by Achiyama). No need for prior experience to become a refioji.

My plan is that this is all in place before the start of the May basho. Then, immediately after the May basho, those signed up can start picking their squads etc.

Please 'sign up' on the list below if you would like to play.  We need 24 competitors, (plus a few reserves, ideally)

Preference is given to:
a) sumo game players (even better if you play Bench Sumo!)
b) sumo fans
c) family (and friends) of the above

We also need six 'refiojis' - one person to look after each of the six groups in the group stages (so one refioji in charge of four players).
Those refiojis will then also be given games in the knock-out stages to look after.

Please register your interest to play below, and whether you would be able to kindly help out with the administration. 

Refiojis
1. Athenayama

Reserves
First reserve: 
Second reserve: 

Players
1. Jejima
2. Fujiko
3. Baku
4. Kaba
5. Jakusotsu
6. Athenayama
7. Djodjoyoshi
8. KImyama

Reserves - in case any of the above drop out at the last minute or don't make their squad selections in time.
First reserve:  
2nd reserve: 
3rd reserve: 
4th reserve:  

Edited by Jejima

Playing, of course, but refiojing might be tricky due to an absence from 20th to 23th of June.

• Like 1

Unlike Jakusotsu I'll finally be available from 20th to 23rd of June so you can count me in as a player and a refioji.

Please count also my cousin Djodjoyoshi and my friend Kimyama as players.

• Like 1

Count me in as a player. Unfortunately again no time for refiojiing.

Ganzohnesushi 

• Like 1

Breaking out my dartboard again to make my picks If you'll have me.

• Like 1

Happy to participate, I wouldn't trust myself as a refioji though!

• Like 1

Almost half-way with the players :-)

Refiojis
1. Athenayama

Reserves
First reserve: 
Second reserve: 

Players
1. Jejima
2. Fujiko
3. Baku
4. Kaba
5. Jakusotsu
6. Athenayama
7. Djodjoyoshi
8. KImyama
9. Ganzohnesushi
10. Finngall
11. Koorifuu

Reserves - in case any of the above drop out at the last minute or don't make their squad selections in time.
First reserve:  
2nd reserve: 
3rd reserve: 
4th reserve:  

Now officially half-way with the players (Enjoyingabeer...)

Refiojis
1. Athenayama

Reserves
First reserve: 
Second reserve: 

Players
1. Jejima
2. Fujiko
3. Baku
4. Kaba
5. Jakusotsu
6. Athenayama
7. Djodjoyoshi
8. KImyama
9. Ganzohnesushi
10. Finngall
11. Koorifuu
12. Asapedroryu

First reserve:  
2nd reserve: 
3rd reserve: 
4th reserve:  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

I will attempt to play, even if the rules are written for maximum obscurity.

To all those who believe it is a complicated game, please have a look at the last edition we played (Women Bench World Cup 2023). It is actually quite simple as a player. Don't give too much attention to the "obscure rules" which become also quite clear when you play. :-)

Edited by Athenayama

10 hours ago, Athenayama said:

To all those who believe it is a complicated game, please have a look at the last edition we played (Women Bench World Cup 2023). It is actually quite simple as a player.

It's simple enough for a stuffed animal to beat me. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Still need more refiojis (I've reduced the number to three, as usually one refioji can look after two groups), and another eleven players ;-))

Refiojis
1. Athenayama
2. Achiyama
3. Jakusotsu
4. Jejima

Players
1. Jejima
2. Fujiko
3. Baku
4. Kaba
5. Jakusotsu
6. Athenayama
7. Djodjoyoshi
8. Kimyama
9. Ganzohnesushi
10. Finngall
11. Koorifuu
12. Asapedroryu
13. Ryoshishokunin
14. Joputosu
15. Achiyama
16. Krisachiyama
17. Nantonoyama

First reserve:  Polimasa
2nd reserve: Bumbiachiyama
3rd reserve: Tanetakahiro
4th reserve:  

Edited by Jejima

Posted (edited)

Hi, I would like to try as a player, pls

Edited by Joputosu
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't visit very often the "Off-topic" place, so I didn't see Jejima's announcement about Bench Euro 2024.

I'd be signing as a player, and my Grandson Krisachiyama will be glad to play too.

As for Refioji - I'll be traveling the week of July 4. But for the Groups rounds I think I'll be able to do Refiojing, and if later - in July, for any reason I wouldn't be able to do the Refiojing, Jakusotsu (if he is OK, of course) to back me up for the week, or if he wants to finish the refiojing, is an option.

Do you think it would be doable?

Achiyama

Edited by Achiyama
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Achiyama said:

Jakusotsu (if he is OK, of course) to back me up for the week, or if he wants to finish the refiojing, is an option.

Definitely! It's only 20th-22th of June when I'm off.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 12:59, Jejima said:

First reserve:  
2nd reserve: 
3rd reserve: 
4th reserve:  

You can sign in for Reserves (if needed) my daughter Polimasa, and

my granddaughter Bumbiachiyama

Achiyama

• Like 1

I'll be happy to play. Unsure about my availability for refioji, I will know more as of end of May (if still needed by then)

• Like 1

I've been debating with myself whether I sign up for this for over a month, but now that I've seen the fixtures that confirms there's a total of 5 watchable games for me - none of the finals. Prime time for Europe evening slot is 3AM starts for me. So unfortunately I think I'll have to sit it out.

Still need (at least) five more to sign up for this to be a goer.

1 hour ago, Jejima said:

Still need (at least) five more to sign up for this to be a goer.

Hi Jejima,

You can sign in as a Reserve (for now) my son-in-law Tanetakahiro.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Hi, I didn't know about it at all :-O (this is all about my visits to the forum, sorry). You can count on me as refioji and player.

I also warned Kuma Koma & Co.

• Like 1

My brother (jomojo) and his son (Jarayama) have agreed to play again. So, with all back-ups in play, we will have a tournament!  If anyone would like to join in - I am sure that you can, as one or more of the back-ups could make way.

Due to being on holiday in the Scottish countryside, I will probably only be able to start the admin next weekend, when I have my trusty PC.

Refiojis
1. Athenayama
2. Achiyama
3. Jakusotsu
4. Jejima
5. Nekonishiki

Players
1. Jejima
2. Fujiko
3. Baku
4. Kaba
5. Jakusotsu
6. Athenayama
7. Djodjoyoshi
8. Kimyama
9. Ganzohnesushi
10. Finngall
11. Koorifuu
12. Asapedroryu
13. Ryoshishokunin
14. Joputosu
15. Achiyama
16. Krisachiyama
17. Nantonoyama
18. Nekonishiki
19. Kuma Koma
20. Jarayama
21. jomojo
22. Polimasa
23. Bumbiachiyama
24. Tanetakahiro

Time to start the admin!

Remember this is to pick the team that you represent. The team in brackets is the counterbalance team. This has been calculated by taking the average from five major betting sites for outright winner for the tournament. When, there is a tie with the odds, then I have ranked such teams in order of the current FIFA rankings. The overall favourite is paired with the 24th ranked team, 2nd favourite with the 23rd ranked team and so on. So, if your first choice team is one of the tournament favourites, the counterbalance team is likely to be an 'also-ran', and vice versa.

You are asked to pick your first choice team, then second and so on down to fifth choice team. Of course, do not pick the same team twice!  Also, as a bit of guidance (based on previous tournaments), it can be a bit of a waste of picks after your first choice if you select a team that is likely to go with the first round choices. - So think outside of the box with choices 3 to 5 perhaps?

Make your picks as soon as possible please.

Please pick your representative team here.

Somebody just entered - but didn't leave their name....

Correctly entered are

Baku
Jejima
Kaba
Nekonishiki