Sign in to follow this  
Kaninoyama

Nishonoseki & Onosato Given Stern Reprimand by NSK for Allowing Underage Drinking

On 23/04/2024 at 01:27, Bunbukuchagama said:

A couple of them are 17, another one 18.

They had two 15 year olds in mae-zumo last time: Seiseigo and Amidaishin.

Posted (edited)

This happened in September, so unlikely to involve them.

Edited by Katooshu

Posted (edited)

Like everything these days, over-policing will kill everything  eventually. If I know the Kyokai, I know one thing- they (by that I mean the scared Oyakatas as well) switch from saying it's nothing to seriously going overboard with their attempts to look public sponsor group or whatever they are these days. So an underaged rikishi drank some sake. Geez. Nobody was set on fire this time. Can't they look at the bright side of life?

We shall see. At least a one-basho suspension, I steak.

Edited by Kintamayama

Starting to hear whispers, unconfirmed yet as factual, that Onosato, among others, was involved in bullying the youngest of the recruits, which included making them drink alcohol in the bath. If true, it puts the incident in a different light, with a more serious set of consequences. 

Really hoping it's all just a rumor, but as we've seen many times in the sumo world, where there's smoke there tends to be fire. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Starting to hear whispers, unconfirmed yet as factual, that Onosato, among others, was involved in bullying the youngest of the recruits, which included making them drink alcohol in the bath. If true, it puts the incident in a different light, with a more serious set of consequences. 

Really hoping it's all just a rumor, but as we've seen many times in the sumo world, where there's smoke there tends to be fire. 

Am I the only one who finds the prospect of Ōnosato being kicked out darkly funny? 

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Am I the only one who finds the prospect of Ōnosato being kicked out darkly funny? 

Which heya will ex-Kisenosato & Co. be sent to for "training in how to become a proper oyakata?"

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Onosato today at the kokugikan talked to the media and apologized for causing that much trouble, "I want to properly reflect on it and gambarize". He will continue to be at the jungyo, 4 locations are left - on his way to Kisarazu, Chiba now for tomorrow.

photo_280x210.jpgo 20240424s00005000319000p_thum.jpgo img_71c32921d48e22705ffcac78c43ab8bd287204.jpgo

- with Takerufuji kyujo, Onosato is the main attraction at the jungyo, again and again in the talk event for the fans - most important is Kisenosato's home basho on Friday in the capital Mito of Ibaraki-pref., for which the oyakata is PR ambassador.

4 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Sounds like the punishment was just the warning?

stern warning is what he got from the compliance bunch and that's it - should a new scandal emerge, he'll likely will have to follow the path of Hokuseiho

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Hearing whispers from the Daily Shincho? Or elsewhere (and are those based on the Daily Shincho article)? 

The DS article that is going around is based on a story a koenkai member says they were told by an unnamed source and sounds pretty bizarre......it could be true but I am very skeptical. At minimum a lot of details can get altered passing from one person to another to another.

Edited by Katooshu

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Which heya will ex-Kisenosato & Co. be sent to for "training in how to become a proper oyakata?"

The by-then reopened Myagino? 

• Haha 9

10 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Too bad Isegahama is in another ichimon. Their roof is still available - and so is nearby park.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

he'll likely will have to follow the path of Hokuseiho

To follow the path of Hokuseiho, one needs to do what Hokuseiho did, no?

So far, nothing points in that directiion.

Nothing to see here guys, move along.

Sorry guys, but so far this whole thing is getting a long yawn from me. I guess I'm too used to the adrenaline of the ever-aggravating shock stories that don't stop giving.

8 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

To follow the path of Hokuseiho, one needs to do what Hokuseiho did, no?

So far, nothing points in that directiion.

No, follow the path out - and that tabloid pointed into that direction

6 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

We are still waiting for the promised tabloid article.

This one mentioned long ago?

On 23/04/2024 at 15:22, Akinomaki said:

Tabloid Dailyshincho reports that it was a 19y old that started last Haru - that's Soseizan, who was full kyujo since Aki and restarted in maezumo last basho. There's talk of hazing, in which Onosato took part. o

46 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

This one mentioned long ago?

We were promised an article on the 25th. Still waiting.

3 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

We were promised an article on the 25th. Still waiting.

This is also just the same DailyShincho, simply an extension from that on the 23rd and published in paper today. Sankei Group's Yukan Fuji ZakZak mentioned that there was only this article nobody cares about - the NSK has no plans to reopen investigations. They compare it with the Asanoyama case who first lied and when the NSK people found that what was reported after the first hearing was completely different, he was questioning again and came out with the truth, concluding that if in this case the one rumour contains truth, either Onosato lied or the NSK wants to hide it. o

- DailyShincho on the 23rd also guessed that the NSK wants to protect the future rijicho

Nobody cares about the talk in DailyShincho unless more serious papers pick it up - in case of Hokuseiho the tabloid was quite right though.

So the Chris Sumo video that followed up about this incident came up as one of the top videos when I was trying to do a search for "Onosato yusho" and decided to see if I could be humored. Unsurprisingly Chris pointed out the hypocrisy but decided to also cry about how he was being criticized by some "irate" people in his fanbase, stating that he's only "translating." He himself also promised to say something about that upcoming article but I guess he hyped himself up too much? And on cue people in the comments defending him versus the "haters."

• Haha 2

If I may put on my XXL-sized tinfoil hat for this one. :-P

I'm not biting. I really struggle to see him as the kind of guy to do others harm. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a fabricated story in order to make him seem fearsome to external parties, in order to either 'legitimise' his possible status as an all-time great or minimise any abuse coming in from anyone above him in the food chain who could be looking to hinder his progression.

Mostly because this is exactly at that level where it sounds 'manly' by old school stardards but isn't serious enough for actual repercussions.

Chris is a Sumo tabloid. Has to create issues where there are none and magnify unimportant things into serious issues. And also has to criticise NSK whatever they do.

That's what his fan base wants and that's what he gives them. The same way the other many Daily Mails of this world make their living.

• Like 2

I find it impossible to believe the underage party/parties had to be bullied into drinking alcohol.

I needed no persuasion to consume illegal beverages when I was a youth; I jumped at every opportunity and so did all my acquaintances. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I find it impossible to believe the underage party/parties had to be bullied into drinking alcohol.

I needed no persuasion to consume illegal beverages when I was a youth; I jumped at every opportunity and so did all my acquaintances. 

I find it very possible. I come from a non-drinking culture and I have lived in a drinking one; the peer pressure alone is strong. Refusing too many beers/shots will be slightly mocked. No big deal, but I can imagine someone to abuse its position. Not saying Onosato did that, but it's a bit naive to assume some people are not (psychologically) bullied into it.

• Like 2

it's so bizarre that some people here simply can't even comprehend the possibility not everyone wants to drink alcohol and then use their lack of imagination to minimize whatever offense might have occurred here. have people forgotten that a month after when this event supposedly took place another underaged rikishi was pressured into drinking and had to be hospitalised? 

the fact of the matter is that we have no facts of this matter. all we have is that hastily released pr statement and brief 'report' from the NSK to preempt the inciting tabloid article and i find it strange that so many have decided to uncritically swallow what the committee have published. the NSK only provides the barest detail that he was 'drinking with someone underaged' and you do the work for them by assuming he was just making merry and initiating the underaged individual to the fun world of alcohol. surely if this had actually occurred, being transparent would have only helped exonerate him in the public eye just as multiple people have already presumed and done here. we've seen merely recently that the NSK is not above providing salacious, specific details in other investigative reports. 

regardless, do you not find several strange points in how this affair was conducted? the paucity of information for when exactly this incident was actually reported, why an incident that warranted at least a 'stern warning' was only investigated more than 6 months after it occurred and how exactly was the investigation actually carried out? i've read reports about how onosato was interviewed and 'gave good answers', but i've not seen a single mention of the purported victim being interviewed. this certainly doesn't seem consistent with the zealousness that they've pursued other cases with. 

and finally, some people have claimed that nishonoseki has fallen into the paranoid culture of self-reporting but this is obviously explainable by another possibility - the nature of the offense was severe enough to deserve reporting.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I mean, I've definitely seen people hazed into drinking to the point of vomiting in college and people peer pressured to drink in high school (and I've heard stories of socially enforced drinking in Japanese workplaces), but using it as punishment while you shower is just comical. He's either a batshit insane psychopath, or, waaay more likely, the tabloid is reporting everything it's told/making shit up.