Akinomaki

Aki 2024 discussion (results)

What's the japanese word for Karen?

20 hours ago, Benihana said:

What's the japanese word for Karen?

カレン, as you'd guess.

The Japanese are lucky we didn't call them "Delilah".

Posted (edited)

クレーマーおばさん

クレームおばさん

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

クレーマーおばさ

クレームおばさん

Okay, that's what i meant. They're going the mean auntie way like in China.

Isegahama at the portrait ceremony again today.

which shisho has the most appearance at that ceremony on behalf of their rikishi?

On 29/07/2024 at 16:51, Akinomaki said:

Takadagawa top shimpan: Depending on the result, next basho ozeki promotion may come up

Top shimpan Takadagawa, who before had also emphasized that double digits at sanyaku are prerequisite: "He has the forward pushing power, but tends to pull when he gets pushed. Also last basho there were several bouts with that kind of sumo. If he goes forward, the sumo gets better and it also feels good. We'll look at the contents" o

For the traditional 33 wins, 12 are enough this basho. 9 wins last time, this 1 basho below 10 wins is still acceptable. Akebono was promoted with 8 wins in between (but 2 times 13 around that); Goeido with 12J-8-12J - but after 13 basho sekiwake in a row, with one lucky 7-8 though; same pref. Wajima with 12Y-8-13J. o

-> a 12-3J should seal the deal, if he doesn't win more than half by pulling or henka

About Hiradoumi, who aims to start his run "He got stronger. Fighting fair and square with this small build (like he had - Hiradoumi: 177cm/129 kg Akinoshima: 176cm/133kg) looks good." o

• Like 2

The last dohyo matsuri for the 38th Shonosuke, who turns 65 on day 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Kzy_SXNq0

youtube.com/watch?v=E4gITuG9_cg  www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqAePBnkXEc

QYVQW335QFOCZIMXS3JJJTPPRA.jpgo ZJLCYSZXK5JGTFQE26XXF7GQPE.jpgo photo_280x210.jpgo 

About 800 came to watch the free event - will there ever be rikishi again attending?

20240907at46S_t.jpgo

Afterwards the yusho portrait presentation, with sekiwake Onosato and the shisho in place of Terunofuji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hza4uxdAY

202409070000472-w200_0.jpgoimg_2ba9c4fe5f5a648fbf54120c00dfa15d152144.jpgob_18093016.jpgo

4.jpgo img_d651c07ffb985ec92dbbc12a276b66da145328.jpgo 202409070000472-w200_2.jpgo202409070000472-w200_1.jpgo 20240907s10005000439000p_thum.jpgo 20240907-OYT1I50185-1.jpg?type=mediumo photo_280x210.jpgo 20240907-OHT1I51080-N.jpgo b_18093014.jpgo b_18093015.jpgo

202409070000472-w200_3.jpgo202409070000472-w200_4.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

With the Yokozuna kyujo, Satonofuji takes another break from yumitori-shiki duty - Kototsubasa takes over, with recent experience during the last jungyo.

The sekitori from Aomori have again to gambarize to maintain the makuuchi streak since 1883, started by later ozeki Ichinoya (traditionally a Takasago-beya shikona). Last basho miraculously in addition to Takarafuji, also Nishikifuji was saved, so a 7-8 should be enough for him at the same bottom rank - unless nobody else goes down for those who have to be promoted. Instead another Aomori guy was sacrificed, but Onosho only needs a simple kachikoshi to return. Takarafuji will be absolutely safe with a 6-9, though properly he'd need a 7-8. Takerufuji needs another 13-2 juryo yusho to return.

QGLB5SIBZFO5BFLJ2SMACQ6QGQ.jpgo

6 yokozuna during that time - and now only 15 rikishi on the banzuke, 14th rank. Top is Tokyo with 53, then Osaka with 29. In the past the kids had preliminary tournaments in their region and only the best went to the Aomori prefecture tournament, now all can go.

The 2nd longest streak is 42 years shorter, by Ibiraki pref.

• Like 3

I would like to claim the record for jumping the gun on the promotion/relegation discussion by stating that Onosho's win today makes him safe from relegation to makushita.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Will the ozekiwake finish the basho or retire after his 6th loss?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

That 6th loss feels inevitable, doesn't it? I believe it will depend on how it happens. If he goes 0-6 then, yeah, immediate kyujo followed by intai announcement, but it it doesn't come until the middle of next week and he's going to KK, I think he'll finish the basho first.

But that's also me hoping he's going to be sensible about it. He's made a career out of defying expectations, so...

Edited by RabidJohn

There is a new feature on the Japanese version of the NSK website explaining how each bout has evolved under the kimarite, currently available for all bouts from the top five makushita ones upwards. To read it, one needs to click on 取組解説. 

Really interesting and welcoming for me at least. 

image.png.612f975bd06bbd7cc4a99bc31a30ecdd.png 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I can't imagine he'll drop out before eight losses unless there's no choice. Even if he has no intention of continuing if he can't reclaim ozeki, stopping before eight feels like quitting early. And I'm not sure he'll drop out at all unless there's a permanent injury risk or it's going embarrassingly badly.

It feels very wrong to be back to only two ozeki. Watching both Takakeisho and Kirishima definitely felt like watching ozeki bouts, I even wanted to count their losses as ozeki losses until I realised... The top ranks are really depleted these days. 

Speaking of that rank, not a very auspicious beginning for the two ozeki wannabes. Onosato barely won by mono-ii and Hiradoumi got unceremoniously flung to the dohyo but the very rank he's aiming at. Onosato better show some worthy sumo tomorrow or he'll have to keep waiting. Though that's not necessarily a bad thing. Gives him time to settle at the higher ranks and prove himself. Also hopefully reduces the likelihood of the recent ozeki curse rubbing off on him. 

That Tobizaru henka against Abi seemed very satisfying for some reason

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

That Tobizaru henka against Abi seemed very satisfying for some reason

I'll bet even Abi appreciated it, for if anyone knows a good henka when he sees one...

8 hours ago, dingo said:

It feels very wrong to be back to only two ozeki. Watching both Takakeisho and Kirishima definitely felt like watching ozeki bouts, I even wanted to count their losses as ozeki losses until I realised... The top ranks are really depleted these days. 

Maybe there's some way for Onosato to reach Yokozuna with three straight yusho from Sekiwake or something.  Right now I think making Ozeki is just asking for trouble.(Noddingyes...)

In Makushita new Futagoyamabeya rikishi (and Sumo Food star), Ms60TD Mita, has first tachi-ai against Sd1 Oyamada, bounces off then slips and falls.  The pressure of maintaining the record for consecutive wins disappears immediately, so he should be fine.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, dingo said:

It feels very wrong to be back to only two ozeki.

I rather have less Ozeki than bad Ozeki.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:
10 hours ago, dingo said:

It feels very wrong to be back to only two ozeki.

Agreed. You could have 20 ozeki and it wouldn't hide the obvious lack of quality at the top end.

In the first decade of this century we had three 12-3 yusho in maku'uchi. In the second decade we had five. We aren't even half way through the 20's and we have had eleven of them already.

• Like 1

I thought Shonosuke would gambarize at his last basho, but the kaobure today is done by the new Inosuke (I thought Abema would spoil it again completely, but they only ruined the start)

Edited by Akinomaki

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I agree, I just meant to say that for me it takes some time to get used to seeing both ex-ozeki compete as sekiwake. Although Takakeisho might not be there too long... 

21 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

That 6th loss feels inevitable, doesn't it? I believe it will depend on how it happens. If he goes 0-6 then, yeah, immediate kyujo followed by intai announcement, but it it doesn't come until the middle of next week and he's going to KK, I think he'll finish the basho first.

I expect him to retire after 0-4