Sign in to follow this  
Gaijingai

Takakeisho Determined to Return to Ozeki

Thanks for all the replies regarding youngish oyakata! So my gut feeling was right, Takakeisho would be fairly young of he were to retire after next basho. I don't even know what would be better for his future, getting 10 wins and dragging on as a hobbled ozeki or retiring and focusing on his health. He must know that fully healing is probably a very remote possibility and it's not really likely he'll ever get to yokozuna, or even another yusho. 

12 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Contrary to his severe facial expressions on the dohyo, off the dohyo he comes off as an affable fellow with a good sense of humor. What I really wonder about is whether he's going to go on the Gagamaru diet after he hangs up the mawashi, and what he'd look like if he did. 

IIRC, he was a fat kid.  It's probably genetic, and I don't expect him to look like Ishiura five years out.  However, never say never!

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

IIRC, he was a fat kid.  It's probably genetic, and I don't expect him to look like Ishiura five years out.  However, never say never!

His wife seems to carry a determined look about her, never doubt that

• Haha 1

His  dad force fed him from a young age for sumo, don't think that's genetic. Neither of his parents are hefty either.

I don't think he was chubby when he was in karate prior to sumo. 

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

As a youth he appeared on a variety TV show called Gakkou e Ikou (Let's Go to School) as an elementary school sumo wrestler who was steamrolling high schoolers. He was indeed big back then. Not simply fat, but sumo big. 

And as he's recounted many times and as Katooshu mentions above, he was groomed to be sumo wrestler almost from the crib in terms of diet and workout, so if he ever went to a regular diet, it could be quite the transformation. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

On 05/09/2024 at 06:16, Gurowake said:

Goeido didn't even try to get back the next time at Sekiwake, and he was at a much more reasonable age (33) to retire, even if there's plenty older than that in Makuuchi.  Retiring soon after demotion was much more common in the past; we've just had a bunch of short-term Ozeki who don't feel as though they were really defined by that rank, and thus continuing to fight on from lower sanyaku or maegashira makes sense.  It doesn't make sense as much for Takakeisho though from that perspective - it's just that he's gotten to that point at a younger age than most since he managed to get to Ozeki so young.  (Don't ask me why Kotoshogiku gave it another couple years after demotion; at least I'm recognizing when my narrative doesn't fully work.)

On 05/09/2024 at 10:52, Sakura said:

I always felt like he wanted to end with more wins than Kisenosato.

He wanted to fight high school mate Toyonoshima (Makushita trying to regain sekitori) for the last time as a final hurrah for both. It never materialized.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

And as he's recounted many times and as Katooshu mentions above, he was groomed to be sumo wrestler almost from the crib in terms of diet and workout, so if he ever went to a regular diet, it could be quite the transformation. 

If all he has ever knew was the sumo diet, than that's his regular diet.