Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Ura's Aite - September 2024 edition

Announcing the September 2024 edition of Guess Kisenosato's Aite.... / Guess Hokutofuji's Aite.... / Guess Kiribayama's Aite..../ Guess Kotonowaka's Aite....

Guess Ura's Aite

Deadline for days 1 and 2 entries is 11:30 am (Japan time) on Friday 6th September.

All you have to do is guess M5E Ura's opponent each day, before the torikumi comes out. If you guess correctly, you get a shiroboshi. This is surprisingly more fun (or frustrating) and challenging than it should be. It also gets you to think a bit more about the 'inner-workings' of sumo.

Here is the current banzuke:-

Banzuke for September 2024
Gurowake (YOE 11-4)  YO  Reonito (YOW 0-0-15)
Sumo Spiffy (S1W 9-6 S1  Bunbukuchagama (S2E 8-7)
Jakusotsu (S1E 7-8) S2  Profomisakari (S2W 6-8-1)
Jejima (M1E 8-7)   K1  Oshirokita (K1E Kosho) 
Ryoshishokunin (K1W Kosho)  K2 

Hakuhonofan (M1W 6-6-3) M1  Fashiriteta (M2E 6-8-1)
WAKATAKE (M2W 3-10-2)  M2 shimodahito (M3W 3-11-1)
Athenayama (M3E 1-13-1)  M3 The Kyokai (M4W 1-14)

Comments:
It is hoped that Reonito will be in action this basho, so that we can have a contest between our two Yokozunas.
Sumo Spiffy will be considered for promotion to Ozeki with an Ozeki Quality performance and/or at least a share of the jun-yusho.

The rules are as follows:-

1. Guess M5E Ura's opponents on each day of the basho.
2. Entries need to be in before 11:30 am Japan time on the previous day, except for the days 1 and 2 entries which need to be in before 11:30 am Japan time on the Friday prior to the start of the basho. If it turns out that the daily toriukumi is printed before these times, then any entry proved to have come afterwards is not allowed for that day (so enter early to be safe).
3. Tie-breakers to decide the Yusho.... We look at the result of the day 15 prediction, then day 14, and so on back to day 1. If still a tie, then the highest ranked on the banzuke can claim the Yusho.
4. If M5E Ura goes kyujo during the basho, we switch to M5W Shonannoumi (M4W Kotoshoho then M4E Shodai kept further in reserve, if needed due to a mass spate of kyujos) for the days after his fusensho loss (I.e. we can still guess who gets the freebie). For the immediate day afterwards, (unless it is known very soon after the event), everyone will get a 'kyujo'.
5. Players that are leading the Yusho race (especially in the final few days of the basho), are requested / expected to get their picks in very early (before all the other players, if possible) - in order to avoid suspicions of 'tactical picking'.
6. If the kyokai changes the originally posted torikumi for any day (such as for a late kyujo), the first version released will be used for the purpose of this game. (Highlighted, so that I will remember it, unlike in a previous basho!)
If the sumo forum goes down for a long period of time, you may still make your picks to Jejima or Jakusotsu at the 'obvious' gmail addresses or by any other method. 

Special prizes (many thanks to Yaochoyama):

1. Outstanding performance (shukun-sho) - the one who correctly picks the aite the most consecutive days. You have to have a minimum of three to win this prize.

2. Fighting spirit (kanto-sho) - the one who limits their incorrect aite picks to the shortest number of consecutive days (literally the one whose longest losing streak is the shortest). Any losing streak of 5 or more days would disqualify you from this prize.

3. Technique (gino-sho) - the one who is best at making correct picks when no one, or hardly anyone else does. A point system is used as follows and you need at least 3 points to claim this prize:

3 points if you're the only win to make the correct pick
2 points if you're one of two to make the correct pick
1 point if you're one of three to make the correct pick

New players ((Order,order!)) are cordially invited to this game!

1. Shonannoumi

2. Kotoshoho

Posted (edited)

1.Shonannoumi

2.Kotoshoho

Teru kyujo

Edited by Fashiritētā

Looks like I'm missing an obvious kyujo...

Switching to Teru-kyujo-mode...

Day 1 - Shonannoumi
Day 2 - Kotoshoho

If Teru doesn't start, the train will go in the right direction.
 If not, the Kyokai will take the lead.

Day 1   -   Shonannoumi
Day 2   -   Kotoshoho

20 hours ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

(Teru is almost certainly out at this point.)

How do you know that?

Presuming Terunofuji does start the basho....

1. Kotoshoho
2. Meisei

(And watch Jakusotsu kick himself for changing his horses, should I be proved to be correct!)

• Like 1

Hi all, having sat out the last 3 tournaments and considered my situation carefully, I am hereby declaring my intai from this game (Bow...) I enjoyed playing for the last few years, and learned a lot about how the torikumi gets put together, but I simply no longer have the time to devote to playing a daily game at the highest level. It was an honor to reach the highest rank, and I am happy to go out with a yusho in the last basho I was able to finish. I will still be on the forum and will lurk in this thread, especially when contemplating torikumi options late in a basho. And I am not ruling the possibility that some day, Reonito II might make an appearance in mae-zumo. But for now, (Sadgoodbyes...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, Jejima said:

How do you know that?

It's not 100% (that's why I said almost), but what I'd seen/heard seemed to be very much pointing in that direction. Maybe I overstated it. That's how it seemed at the time, though.

Too bad Jejima's gamble didn't pay off. And I'd like to hear what @Sakura has to say about Day 2's Maegashira schedule which is done totally different than one year ago. Nice kinboshi for Oshirokita! (Applauding...)

Oshirokita (K1w) 2-0
Gurowake (YOe) 1-1
Sumo Spiffy (S1e) 1-1
Bunbukuchagama (S1w) 1-1
Jakusotsu (S2e) 1-1
Profomisakari (S2w) 1-1
Ryoshishokunin (K2e) 1-1
Hakuhonofan (M1e) 1-1
Fashiriteta (M1w) 1-1
shimodahito (M2w) 1-1
Jejima (K1e) 0-2
Athenayama (M3e) 0-2
The Kyokai (M3w) 0-2
Reonito (YOw) intai
WAKATAKE (M2e) kosho

Ura's aites: 1. Shonannoumi, 2. Shodai

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

As much as it's annoying that they changed their minds apparently this time, it would be nice to see the even day rule for maegashira scrapped.

3. Kotoshoho

I kinda like the even day rule, if only because they schedule matches in the order they make them and I think it's cool that guys at the same rank swap who fights first (assuming they're both the high rank in their matches). Of course, the way they make the schedule and the order of the fights doesn't have to be connected, but somehow I doubt that's going away.