Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Who's going to be the lucky rikishi that gets to be in juryo for Kyushu 2024?

Who's going to be the lucky rikishi that gets to be in juryo for Kyushu 2024?  

25 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Select who you think will be in juryo:

• Asanoyama (J3w 0-0-15)
    • Aoiyama (J13e 5-10)
    • Oshoumi (J14w 6-9)
    • Kaisho (Ms6w 4-3)
    • Hatsuyama (Ms16e 7-0 Y)
    • Britney Spears [any other scenario]

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/24 at 23:59

Due to sufficiently many dreadful juryo scores as well as former ozeki Takakeisho's retirement, it appears highly likely that all six rikishi who achieved kachikoshi in the top 5 makushita ranks will be promoted to juryo:

Tochitaikai (Ms1e 4-3)
Wakaikari (Ms2w 4-3)
Chiyomaru (Ms3w 5-2)
Nabatame (Ms4e 4-3)
Aonishiki (Ms4w 6-1)
Kototebakari (Ms5w 5-2)

That leaves one spot unaccounted for. Who's going to get it?

Britney is there for you if your choice is something else, either within the framework of the question (I included all options that make sense to me, but maybe you're a huge Miyagi fan or something), or if you disagree entirely that the aforementioned six guys are certain to go up. Expounding on Britney votes via comment is appreciated.

The poll closes at 08:59 JST on Wednesday.

Edited by Asashosakari

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

maybe you're a huge Miyagi fan or something

Kamito also makes sense as a potential choice as the next best 5-2.  Just to cover all the bases I would have included both of those plus Kiryuko as all those rikishi cover all possible scenarios allowed by the fundamental banzuke rule, but I suppose they have the same chance as Britney Spears to be in Juryo, so I understand why she's the option instead.

I'm guessing they'll be generous to Asanoyama this time. Expecially with the retirement, but also with the huge number of other Juryo dropping to Makushita, I don't see the scores or records on anyone else that would merit a placement above him, unlike last time.

It's very similar to this basho that saw Takanoiwa saved: https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=201801#J

But yes, Britney would be awesome. She's got some dance moves.

Edited by itchyknee

Aoiyama.

Yes, I know they've just normalized 6-9 non-demotions, but I don't think Oshoumi will be the lucky one.

Kaisho is too low, a promotion from Ms16 would be unprecedented, and big kyujo losses seem to be treated more harshly than losses on the dohyo (which eliminates Asanoyama).

I will be very disappointed if Asanoyama is not given some mercy after his first comeback.

Whilst I'd have loved for Hatsuyama to become a sekitori - not too confident he'll ever make it - I personally see Asanoyama as the least unrealistic option, all things considered.

In two days, we'll either have the answer or half the possibilities.

Edited by Koorifuu

I closed the poll because Aoiyama isn't an option anymore.

I wonder what would happen if I removed Aoiyama as an option...

Edit: Nope, wouldn't give his five voters the chance to vote for something else, so I guess we'll just leave that as is. Feel free to give your alternative choice in a comment, if you care to do so.

Edited by Asashosakari

I voted for Aoiyama. Now that he’s no longer an option, I think it will be Oshoumi.