Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

New Juryo for Kyushu 2024

New:
Wakaikari - Ms2w 4-3, Isenoumi-beya, Kyoto, 19 years old
Aonishiki - Ms4w 6-1, Ajigawa-beya, Ukraine, 20 years old
Kototebakari, now Kotoeihō 琴栄峰 ことえいほう  - Ms5w 5-2, Sadogatake-beya, Chiba, 21 years old

Returning:
Tochitaikai - Ms1e 4-3, Kasugano-beya, Saitama, 24 years old, 2nd promotion, back after one basho
Chiyomaru - Ms3w 5-2, Kokonoe-beya, Kagoshima, 33 years old, 3rd promotion, back after two basho former maegashira
Nabatame - Ms4e 4-3, Futagoyama-beya, Tochigi, 22 years old, 2nd promotion, back after one basho

Aonishiki's 7 tournaments from maezumo to juryo are the joint 5th-fastest rise in the six-basho era.

202309topics-15.gif

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Koto-hey-ho is almost as good a name as Kotoshohoho. 

55 minutes ago, dingo said:

Ramones or Chili Peppers?

7 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I like to think of him as a Blitzkrieg Bopper.

1 hour ago, dingo said:

FWIW, they are brothers, and the Ho ending their shikona is the same kanji meaning mountain peak.

9 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I was more thinking of Snow White and the 7 dwarves, but Chili Peppers works for me too. 

So 6 guys either intai or going down.

Takakeisho, Myogiryu, Aoiyama => Intai

Oshoumi 6-9 at Juryo 14w down for sure.
Chiyosakae 0-4-11 so basicaly 0-15 at Juryo 13w down for sure.

So it's between Asanoyama 0-0-15 Juryo 3w or Kiryuko 4-11 Juryo 12w to go down. I'm thinking Asanoyama stay and Kiryuko to Makushita

9 minutes ago, kedevash said:

*Nishikifuji has entered the chat*

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, kedevash said:

Chiyosakae 0-4-11 so basicaly 0-15 at Juryo 13w down for sure.

So it's between Asanoyama 0-0-15 Juryo 3w or Kiryuko 4-11 Juryo 12w to go down

I know Juryo comes out different to Makuuchi in these conversations quite regularly, but I agree with the others above that just last basho we had the relevant precedents. Keeping Asanoyama from here is to reverse the tiebreaker from last basho which took away Onosho's position in Makuuchi in favour of a 6-9 on the bottom rank - and that was as a tiebreaker. In this case (unless I'm counting wrong) Asanoyama calculates a whole rank lower than Oshoumi. 

I'm not saying they've demoted Asanoyama and kept Oshoumi - just that we know to do the opposite is to invalidate their most recent reasoning on ranks and fairness. 

If they can viably demote both Oshoumi and Asanoyama while keeping Kiryuko (who calculates a whole rank lower than Asanoyama) then they're smoking something stronger than I.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adz_517 said:

Kiryuko benefitted from 2 walkovers as well don’t forget. 

That would make it harder for us commoners to digest, but all the evidence points towards fusensho counting the exact same as other wins when it comes to their banzuke position the following basho.

In either case, Kiryuko's position by the numbers is two full ranks below Oshomi (and one below Aoiyama, not that it matters now) so he's decidedly in a much worse position.
If anything, the most worrying bit for Oshoumi was the perception that the bottom ranked rikishi on both makuuchi and juryo had to deal with stricter unwritten rules - and would therefore mean he was in a worse position than Kiryuko despite a much better projected ranking - but Nishikifuji's non-demotion for Aki blurred those lines.

Edited by Koorifuu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

That would make it harder for us commoners to digest, but all the evidence points towards fusensho counting the exact same as other wins when it comes to their banzuke position the following basho.

Exactly, that's yet another popular misconception.

Kiryuko must not be blamed for being denied the opportunity for a "proper" win.