Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Latest round of urakata promotions announced - double tate gyoji promotion!

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202409260000799.html

The rijikai has decided the latest round of promotions for the gyoji and tokoyama, and there's no long wait for a pair of tate gyoji this time, as the recently-new Inosuke will go up to Shonosuke and Kimura Shotaro will take his place as Inosuke. There are also three promotions to the special class of tokoyama. The yobidashi miss out this time.

All the promotions will take effect as of December 23rd, release date for the 2025 Hatsu basho banzuke.

Gyoji:

42nd Shikimori Inosuke > 39th Kimura Shonosuke

Kimura Shotaro > 43rd Shikimori Inosuke

Shikimori Kandayu > to Sanyaku

Kimura Takao > to Makuuchi

Kimura Hideaki > to Juryo

Kimura Narimasa > to Sandanme
Kimura Katsunosuke > to Sandanme
Kimura Keitaro > to Sandanme

Tokoyama:

Tokoasa > to Tokuto
Tokonaka > to Tokuto
Tokotatsu > to Tokuto

Tokotakeshi > to Itto

Tokonaka and Tokotatsu will reach mandatory retirement age a little over a year from now, following current tokuto Tokotsuru in July. Tokoasa is a couple of years younger.

Penny for the thoughts of Kimura Tamajiro lately...

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Oh, wow. Let me just put on my tinfoil hat and say that Tamajiro's sudden resignation makes a bit more sense now, somehow. He might've expected to be overtaken by the new Shonosuke and showed them the middle finger on the way out, or perhaps he was incentivised to leave so that the way was paved for the latter.

Either way, happy for him. The guy's very charismatic. Did anyone ever spend so little time at Inosuke before being promoted to Shonosuke?

54 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Penny for the thoughts of Kimura Tamajiro lately...

He was bitter and twisted about the situation when he walked, and I don't imagine this development makes him feel much better.

I wonder, however, if his sudden departure forced the NSK to abandon its decade-long zero-to-one tate-gyoji experiment.

I see no one's done any leap-frogging, either...

If this really is normal service resumed, I suppose someone will be able to figure out when forum fave Konosuke will get some purple trim.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Faustonowaka said:

Has there ever been a gyoji who was promoted from Inosuke to Shonosuke after only 1 basho?

Yes, after the 2006 Hatsu Basho, both Tate-gyoji (32nd Shonosuke and 34th Inosuke) retired and so Kimura Asanosuke III. became 35th Shikimori Inosuke for the 2006 Haru Basho and was immediately moved up to 33rd Kimura Shonosuke for the 2006 Natsu Basho right after.

Edited by Doreikishi
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

If this really is normal service resumed, I suppose someone will be able to figure out when forum fave Konosuke will get some purple trim.

Purple and white in 2 years (39th Shonosuke turns 65 after Aki 2026)

Full purple in 4 years (43rd Inosuke, by then probably 40th Shonosuke, turns 65 after Aki 2028)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where is Konosuke in the pecking order? Is he likely to change his name?

4 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Where is Konosuke in the pecking order? Is he likely to change his name?

Going by Gyoji list on Kyokai pages, he's top Sanyaku Gyoji and first in line for promotion to Inosuke...